Author Topic: Plate Removal  (Read 2906 times)

Gma

Plate Removal
« on: April 21, 2016, 12:27:17 am »
Hi there.. I had my acoustic neuroma surgery 6 years ago and have been able to feel the titanium plate and screws ever since. For years it's been so tender that it's painful to sleep on that side of my head or have my eye glass temple up next to the screws. Overtime I've had intermittent swelling at the site and recently one of the screws finally broke through my skin. This actually has relieved much of the pain, though I still have tightness and discomfort from the other screws also getting closer to the surface of my skin. A doctor told me I need to have surgery to have the plate removed because this could be a source for infection. I've been putting this off and I'm really nervous about doing this because I still suffer from side effects from the original surgery. Has anyone out there had their titanium plate removed?
Thank you for your input please :)
Gma

Kristena

Re: Plate Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 09:05:47 am »
Hi Gma,

I am so sorry for what you are going through! My titanium mesh healed very nicely after my surgery. But the following year, I had a Baha Connect implanted, and the doctor had to cut away some of my mesh to make room for it. The area didn’t heal properly, and I had to have another surgery to repair it. It was a source of depression and great stress for many, many months. The result has left the area behind my ear very lumpy, and the skin is thinner and more sensitive. I did have a point of the mesh cut through the skin at one time, but that has since healed. I have to be careful when putting on or removing my sunglasses, and wearing them for too long can make the area red and sore.

I know you are going through a lot more than I did, but I understand how stressful and frustrating it can be, and I wish you the very best result!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

InnerGrace

Re: Plate Removal
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 05:20:14 pm »
Hi, Gma...was wondering if you ever found an answer to your titanium plate issue?
Diagnosed 4/28/2016
2.4 x 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN
Symptoms:  Mild Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus, Mild Balance Problems, Possible Vision Issues, Some Vertigo.
Retromastoid Craniectomy 05/30/2016. UPMC Presby
Dr's Gardner and Hirsch
Left SSD. HB 6 Facial Paralysis.  Waiting for the nerves to wake up...