Post-Treatment > Facial Issues

gracilis flap surgery

(1/1)

Sanderson:
I’m looking into gracilis flap surgery or 12/7 nerve graft. I would love to hear recovery stories. I’m super concerned about my speaking ability with both surgeries. I’m a high school English teacher. I need to be able to speak clearly. It’s hard to walk around with a paralyzed face, but if I can’t speak clearly, I can’t teach.

How long was recovery—for real?

I tell my students “I’m smiling at you!”

Kathleen_Mc:
Hi
I had the 7/12 many years ago, I continue to have issue's with speaking clearly at times.
Recovery.....I know I was off work for 6 weeks but frankly other than that I don't know what to say to that. !

Sanderson:
Did you have trouble with your speech prior to the nerve graft?

alabamajane:
Hi,
I too had the 7/12 graft in 2011. I had it 4 days after AN surgery. I agree that I still have issues speaking clearly. I speak like a pirate I like to say if that makes sense. I have good muscle tone on that side and no droop. To look at me you can’t tell I’m paralyzed on that side. Not until I smile or talk.
Personally,, i think you would be more satisfied with gracilis flap surgery for speech  from what I have read in the past on the forum. It was recommended to me even after I had the graft done.

Good luck,,
Jane

Kathleen_Mc:
Sanderson:
I had difficulty with my speech since my initial surgery to remove the AN, I think it is better after all that I have had done....I can't remember if the 7-12 made it worse initially or not but I don't think so.
Kathleen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version