Author Topic: Surgical Facilities  (Read 1905 times)

wasbjs

Surgical Facilities
« on: February 05, 2019, 10:44:15 am »
I am nearing my 2 year anniversary for wait and watch.  I mentioned to my cardiologist, February 1916, that I was walking into door frames and often veering off course when walking, had bouts of dizziness, and some loss of hearing in my right ear.  He referred me to an ENT and my journey began.  My tumor is small, 7mm two years ago and basically no growth after a year of watching. Recently, however, I have developed a couple more inconvenient symptoms: I seem to drop things more often and I have difficulty swallowing--I choke on food and liquids sometimes. 

I feel due to these small changes I need to go back for another MRI earlier than the one scheduled for May. My tumor is close to my brain stem which is concerning to me--of course, any tumor is reason enough for concern in anyone.  Initially I contacted House Clinic  and sent my MRI results to them.  Dr. Slattery, at House Clinic, called and recommended Wait and Watch due to the small size and my age--at that time 70.

I joined 2 support groups right after learning of my AN--one in Knoxville and one in Nashville.  Great decision.  I also attended the symposium in Nashville, at Vanderbilt, last September.  Another wise choice. 

I am well aware that ANA cannot and does not recommend any facility for treatment of ANs.  I would appreciate thoughts from those who have undergone surgery.  I originally thought of going to House Clinic, but it is so far from my home, Knoxville, TN, and so difficult for family to be with me if I do go there for surgery.  I did consider Vanderbilt, but have ruled it out.  I heard good things about Johns Hopkins from a member of the Nashville support group and found good reviews about the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.  If anyone feels comfortable relaying your thoughts on treatment facilities, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. 

Best wishes to one and all,
Winifred

notaclone13

Re: Surgical Facilities
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 05:38:14 pm »
Is there a reason you prefer surgical removal to Cyberknife or Gammaknife?  Because it is not an easy surgery to recover from even for relatively young people. Since your AN is presumably quite small, it would seem radiosurgery would be a less risky treatment strategy.

buzneg

Re: Surgical Facilities
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 04:27:11 pm »
I am nearing my 2 year anniversary for wait and watch.  I mentioned to my cardiologist, February 1916, that I was walking into door frames and often veering off course when walking, had bouts of dizziness, and some loss of hearing in my right ear.  He referred me to an ENT and my journey began.  My tumor is small, 7mm two years ago and basically no growth after a year of watching. Recently, however, I have developed a couple more inconvenient symptoms: I seem to drop things more often and I have difficulty swallowing--I choke on food and liquids sometimes. 

I feel due to these small changes I need to go back for another MRI earlier than the one scheduled for May. My tumor is close to my brain stem which is concerning to me--of course, any tumor is reason enough for concern in anyone.  Initially I contacted House Clinic  and sent my MRI results to them.  Dr. Slattery, at House Clinic, called and recommended Wait and Watch due to the small size and my age--at that time 70.

I joined 2 support groups right after learning of my AN--one in Knoxville and one in Nashville.  Great decision.  I also attended the symposium in Nashville, at Vanderbilt, last September.  Another wise choice. 

I am well aware that ANA cannot and does not recommend any facility for treatment of ANs.  I would appreciate thoughts from those who have undergone surgery.  I originally thought of going to House Clinic, but it is so far from my home, Knoxville, TN, and so difficult for family to be with me if I do go there for surgery.  I did consider Vanderbilt, but have ruled it out.  I heard good things about Johns Hopkins from a member of the Nashville support group and found good reviews about the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.  If anyone feels comfortable relaying your thoughts on treatment facilities, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. 

Best wishes to one and all,
Winifred

Dr. Chan who was on the Gamma Knife team I was treated by at Wake Forest is from Johns Hopkins.  He's really good.

https://www.wakehealth.edu/Providers/C/Michael-D-Chan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C60-KPh6ELM
March 1, 2018 - Hearing loss left side, acute vertigo
March 2, 2018 - MRI show 13 x 7 mm AN (probably growing)
May 2018 - ENT/audiologist indicate 100% hearing loss on left side is permanent
June 29, 2018 -  GK at Wake Forest in NC
Dec.2018 -  MRI shows zero growth
Jan.2020 MRI shows tumor shrinking