Author Topic: Dupuytren's Contracture  (Read 1641 times)

mac84

Dupuytren's Contracture
« on: January 22, 2019, 10:06:37 am »
Here's one for you to ponder:  How many who have an AN also have Dupuytren's Contracture?  Both involve Schwann Cells. 

I've recently developed the nodules on the tendons in the palm of my right hand. As they get worse they pull on the tendons, curling the fingers.  Just wondering if there's a connection between AN's and this?  So far I've not found anything that mentions these.
Diagnosed 10/13/14 with 1.4cm AN L side
1st Consult with Vanderbilt 11//14
W/W.  Next MRI in April 2015 at Vanderbilt.
April 2015 MRI no growth -
April 2016 MRI no growth - still 1.46cm.
4/17: No growth!
4/18: No growth! MRI 2 yrs
4/20: No growth! Symptoms stable- MRI 2 yrs

notaclone13

Re: Dupuytren's Contracture
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 11:44:11 am »
Hi Mac,
From what I have read online, Dupuytren's Contracture is due to overproduction of collagen under the skin in the palms, which would technically make it a connective tissue disease rather than a nerve issue. Here's what I found on the web.

Dupuytren's contracture

Dupuytren's contracture is thickening of the fibrous tissue layer under the skin of palms, fingers, and hands which leads to curving of the finger. It is caused due to the excessive production of collagen which gets deposited under the skin. Hereditary factors, excessive alcohol consumption, diabetes, seizures, and increased age may increase the risk of developing the condition. It commonly occurs in the ring finger and little finger. Occasionally the middle finger is affected but the thumb and index finger are rarely affected. Dupuytren’s contracture is a condition that usually progresses slowly over many years and is not painful. However, some cases progress rapidly and may be painful to the patient.

The most commonly observed symptoms of Dupuytren's contracture are lumps or nodules in the palm, difficulty in straightening the finger, and contracture of the nodules which forms tough bands under the skin.

The cause of Dupuytren’s contracture is unknown. However, there are certain risk factors that may increase your chance of developing the condition. These can include the following:

Social Habits: Smoking and drinking alcohol may increase your risk of developing the condition

Medical Conditions: Patients with diabetes, alcoholism, cirrhosis of the liver, and seizure disorders appear to be at increased risk of developing the condition

Heredity: The condition tends to run in families

Ancestry: Most commonly affected are northern Europeans and people of Scandinavian descent
Hand and wrist conditions should be evaluated by an orthopaedic hand surgeon for proper diagnosis and treatment. Your surgeon will collect medical history and perform physical examination. Dupuytren's contracture is diagnosed based on the history and physical and without any special testing required.

Did someone tell you it involved Schwann cells? Because there may be more than one type.

mac84

Re: Dupuytren's Contracture
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 01:17:41 pm »
Correct....but the condition does involve the overproduction of Schwann cells. Will be interesting to see if there's any represented here!
Diagnosed 10/13/14 with 1.4cm AN L side
1st Consult with Vanderbilt 11//14
W/W.  Next MRI in April 2015 at Vanderbilt.
April 2015 MRI no growth -
April 2016 MRI no growth - still 1.46cm.
4/17: No growth!
4/18: No growth! MRI 2 yrs
4/20: No growth! Symptoms stable- MRI 2 yrs