Pre-Treatment Options > Pre-Treatment Options

Hearing Aid for Partial Hearing Loss

(1/2) > >>

Jimbo:
I had Gamma Knife Radiosurgery approx. 10 years ago. AN side has over 40% hearing Loss.
Can I use a conventional hearing aid, since I don't have total hearing loss in AN ear, or do I need to use CROS, etc devices?

notaclone13:
Hi Jimbo, congratulations on being 10 years post Gammaknife and still retaining substantial hearing. I can't comment on the hearing aid, but I know others on the forum will have some insight.  I was wondering, do you recall how many Gys of radiation you received?  I have heard that 12-13 Gys is the range they use to treat small ANs in people who still have hearing in the AN ear. Also, how many MRIs have you had in the past 10 years?  Were they all done with contrast? Hope you don't mind answering questions, but it is always interesting to hear from someone 10 year down the road from successful Gammaknife treatment.

ANSydney:
I would say that if you have some hearing left, then a hearing aid would be beneficial. 40% hearing loss sounds like something to work with.

Jimbo:
Hi,
Thanks for the responses.
I don't recall how many greys were used for GK; have had 4 MRI's; last one 3 years ago; likely due for one soon.

Just had a new hearing test today at the VA. Dr. said the 40% hearing loss was not understandable, since I have very poor resolution in my AN ear. He said he could try a CROS, but doesn't believe it would be helpful, since I have one good ear, where hearing would transfer to anyway.

notaclone13:
Thanks for your reply Jimbo.  I think the fact that you have had no new symptoms that would justify needing an MRI is a  good sign. Have you considered trying the Bose Hearphones?  They are in fact called "Hearphones", that is not a typo.  There was a recent AN meeting in Nashville and one of the ladies there purchased them and was very happy with the result.  The price tag is $500, but that is less than a hearing aid. I also read a review of them on the Bose website written by a lady who said she had SSD from an acoustic neuroma.  She wrote a glowing review about how the Herphones helped her situation. They might be worth a try.  If you have an actual Bose store in your city, you can give them a try before purchasing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version