Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Leksell Icon vs Cyberknife

(1/2) > >>

marshfield71:
Hi,

Not sure if anyone knows this, but what are the practical differences between the latest gamma knife version (Icon) and CyberKnife?
Both utilize face mask vs headframe, both can have fractionated sessions,  I'm trying to decide and can't really figure it out.....

susanjohnston:
I completed CyberKnife in June 2018. I chose that over GammaKnife because I did not want a head frame literally screwed into my head. With CyberKnife, there is a mesh mask made to fit your face which then snaps onto the treatment bed for the duration of each 40 minute treatment. It was easy. Susan Johnston.

Note: I removed your email address for your protection.  Clarice

Freelander:
Marshfield71, it looks like you made your decision to go with GK rather than CK. 

What were some of the key reasons for choosing GK?

How are you doing a couple of months post treatment, and what is your mid and long term outlook? 

Hope you're comfortable, with results exceeding your expectations.

notaclone13:
Susan,
I wonder if you would mind telling us where your CK procedure was performed and how you are doing now that you are 6 months  out.

marshfield71:

--- Quote from: Freelander on December 19, 2018, 04:16:15 pm ---Marshfield71, it looks like you made your decision to go with GK rather than CK. 

What were some of the key reasons for choosing GK?

How are you doing a couple of months post treatment, and what is your mid and long term outlook? 

Hope you're comfortable, with results exceeding your expectations.

--- End quote ---

Hey Freelander,

From what I gathered, there wasn't really any major differences between GK over CK. I chose GK because I'm in NY and Dr. Kondziolka is in NY, and he's one of the best. CK would've meant flying out to Stanford/Chang and I preferred staying close to home. Also, GK was one session vs multiple sessions for CK, I felt like I just wanted to get it over with in one shot.
In hindsight, at least until this point, no regrets with my decision. The actual procedure itself went smoothly, most difficult part personally was the MRI with the mask on, as it is quite loud and lengthy, and I didn't have enough medication in me to be comfortable with my head unmovable.
Things have been pretty good so far. Fatigue is there, but nothing too bad. Hearing is about the same most days, tinnitus maybe a bit worse, feeling of fullness etc. Overall grateful that I found the AN when I did and that its taken care of. Hopeful for the future!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version