Post-Treatment > Facial Issues

Facial Paralysis Recovery Timeline

<< < (3/3)

Jill Marie:
How did your appointment with the surgeon go?  I hope he had helpful news so you can once again look in the mirror!  Jill

JLR:
Hi Sanderson, don't give up!! I had surgery November 2016.  Balance was terrible. Better now. Deaf right ear from surgery facial paralysis finally improving. Eye can finally close. I am improving very slowly but improving and it took 2 years!  Your only 11 months out. You are definitely going to improve. It takes a lot of time to mend those nerves. Be strong. It takes time. Regards, Joan

Sanderson:
My surgeon consultation got rescheduled. I am totally rethinking surgery of any kind. I am very afraid of having atrophy in my tongue from a 7/12 nerve graft. Is there anyone out there who has something to say about tongue atrophy and nerve graft surgery.

I can speak clearly and have been able to continue teaching and for that I am thankful. My face looks terrible but everything else is good.

ColleenS:
Sanderson, after my Translab surgery I had numb tongue and everything tasted metallic. That went away at about 6 months or so. After my radiation, my tongue is numb again but it is already getting slightly better after 4 months. These things take time but do go away...

alabamajane:
Sara,
Sorry to be so late responding but I don’t come on much nowadays it seems,,, you may have made a decision one way or the other by now but here are my thoughts for what it’s worth to you,,,

I had AN surgery in 2011. My facial nerve was severed due to tumor growing through it. So 4 days later, up I had the 7/12 nerve graft. I have good facial tone and eye closure and a slight smile on the affected  side. I would not have any of that without the graft. My tongue on the right side is atrophied but honestly,, it isn’t a real big deal. I can talk clearly enough that folks understand me most of the time first time I say something. I truly believe that if I had had the gracilis flap surgery also ,, i would have a smile and all the rest.

I don’t regret having the nerve graft at all. To look at me,, you can’t tell face is paralyzed until I talk. Then I look a little like a pirate,, I like to say. Mouth doesn’t open fully on affected side.

Good luck to you. I fully appreciate how this affects us. It is hard to completely accept it and how it affects our self confidence and esteem. And few folks truly understand. I have a VERY understanding and loving husband without whom I’m afraid I would not have weathered this ordeal as well.

I hope you have found your answers by now,,,
Jane

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version