Author Topic: 8 days post-op  (Read 1512 times)

etam

8 days post-op
« on: October 18, 2018, 02:53:56 pm »
Hi all,
Thought it's a good time to give a status report…
On July 2018 found out that I have a left AN: 29*25*14. With some loss of hearing in my left side.
Consulted most of Israel's top Neurosurgeons and radiation experts, talked with some from the US as well.
Last time I wrote I considered taking the radiosurgery path. Actually, at some point, I was pretty sure that it's the right solution for me and I really wanted to avoid a surgery.
For my last consultancy I went to the INI – International Neuroscience Institute in Hannover Germany (late August). I met the amazing Prof. Helmut Bertalanffy, which was not only welcoming, full of patience and spent all needed time to explain and answer all my questions, but he is also a brilliant surgeon.
The INI is a first-class private hospital dealing almost solely with neurosurgical operations. The team here is highly professional in all aspects of taking care of the patient. After meeting him I changed my mind and decided to come back again to move the AN out!
My operation took place a week ago. Physically I recover fast, getting better every day, no issues with the facial nerve, one day after surgery I was texting my phone and reading a book I'm walking freely though I feel weak after 20-30 Min.
My only problem is that I completely lost the hearing on the left side and I have constant tinnitus. It may improve as time goes by, though I'm skeptical about that happening (the Cochlear nerve wasn't physically damaged but probably all the messing around it killed the signal that was left before surgery). If any of you have any suggestions how to deal with that, would be happy to hear…
Wanted to thank all of you who ask questions and those who answer them and share their experience I learned a lot from these forums.
If someone from Israel (or any other place) want to talk about the INI or any other issue concerning AN, please contact me. Looking forward to my flight back home next week.
Cheers,
Etam

Citiview

Re: 8 days post-op
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 02:15:40 pm »
Etam
Congratulations on a successful surgery.
I wish you a good recovery and a safe trip home.
Thank you for sharing the update.