Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Dr. Sheehan at UVA

(1/2) > >>

kestes:
Hi I am looking at GK radiation for my 14-16mm AN.  I read UVA received the latest GK Icon I believe is what they call it - 2 years ago.  If anyone could tell me their experiences with Dr. Sheehan, was your GK successful, symptoms you had, etc.  I would really appreciate it!  Hoping to schedule GK treatment within the next few weeks. 

Blw:
Search my name. I, and another guy (McCrue) both had him. I came from Texas. he trained with Lunsford (Pittsburgh) who is the best GK person. He is an MD PhD and has published ton. Their whole team was MD/PhDs and they were outstanding. Anytime I sent an email, he replied same day, even at night. They also work out of an acoustic neuroma center, which is what you want. You can't go wrong with Sheehan.

notaclone13:
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center also has uses the GK Icon: http://www.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/news/upmc-utilizing-new-gamma-knife-icon

So if your main concern is not wanting to have to wear the head frame (I would certainly want to avoid that) you may also want to consider UMPC.  In addition, because the Icon does not require a frame, they can administer the radiation in multiple lower doses as they do with the Cyberknife.

kestes:
Thank you all for your responses and BLW I have searched and read a great deal of your info!  I have an apt with Dr. Sheehan for GK the last week of October!  I am excited about the opportunity to go there.  I know the headframe will be yucky but at UVA they actually put you to sleep while they apply the frame, so that is great news.  I will keep everyone posted after my treatment.  BLW did you lose your hearing, have facial spasms, etc. after GK?  Thanks so much! 

notaclone13:
UVA has the Gamma Knife Icon: https://news.virginia.edu/content/uva-among-first-use-new-tool-noninvasive-brain-surgery

The Icon does not require the head frame, it uses a mask like with the Cyberknife. It’s much less invasive than the head frame. Perhaps you won’t need the head frame.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version