Post-Treatment > Post-Treatment

Introducing myself--Beat breast cancer one year ago, now I'm gifted with AN

(1/3) > >>

harbormom:
Hi everyone, 
I just joined this forum.  Last July (2017) I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I beat that by choosing a bilateral mastectomy (even though the lumpectomy had clean margins).  Nodes were negative.  I had reconstruction phase 2 in December 2017.  I had reconstruction phase 3 (fat grafting) in May 2018.  I thought I was good to go and started enjoying this summer.  Well, after loosing much of my hearing on the left side within a matter of days in June (2018), I went to the ENT.  Sure enough, major hearing loss.  I went for the brain MRI the following week and diagnosis was a 1.7 cm AN.  Since then, I've noticed my ability to taste has decreased and I have a tiny bit of facial tingling on the left side.  My left eye also tears a lot. I'm scheduled for surgery (retrosigmoid) on Sept. 6.  Here I go again--another darn surgery.  Both an Otologist/Neurotologist and a Neurosurgeon will be doing the surgery--Each of which heads their department.  I'm in good hands.  Any suggestions for when I wake up after the surgery?  Hints of sleeping positions or comfortable positions in the bed?  Anything at all will be appreciated.

staypoz:
Hi, Harbormom.  I'm sorry you are having to have another surgery so close on the heels of your breast cancer surgery.  I had the opposite sequence -- AN followed in six months by surgery for kidney cancer.  I learned through my experience the difference between life threatening and life changing.  You've already experienced some of the possible life changing aspects of an AN, but as brain tumors go, this is a good one to have.  It sounds as if you have found a treatment team you trust.  Good luck with your surgery.  I'm 14 years post-op and life is good.   

v357139:
Hi there.  Welcome and sorry for your issues.  My advice is to focus on how happy you should be that this is treatable, and you have great doctors.  I did not have any pain at all.  Did not have to worry about how to place my head or anything.  Perhaps you will be the same also. Best of luck, and keep us posted.
Rich

SueLL:
Hi!  I just had surgery this summer.  Sleeping positions were not an issue; however, my neck muscles were stiff, sore and painful when I woke up.  Luckily just sitting up straight helped the muscles stretch out.  For the first month I took a Tylenol as soon as I had some food to help.

A veteran recommended requesting a muscle relaxant after surgery and that was so helpful in the early days!  Your head will be in an awkward position for hours during the surgery and it takes a bit to recover.  I found the muscle relaxant to be more helpful than pain relievers. 

Best of luck!

Citiview:
One thing to note is that Harbormom has deleted the account because she appears as a guest.

If you are still reading the forum please note that people care.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version