Author Topic: Acupuncture for paralysis  (Read 4957 times)

Amz569

Acupuncture for paralysis
« on: January 26, 2017, 08:41:11 am »
So I don't really fit in this group as I never had AN but rather cavernous malformation in my brain stem. However, that is rare and I find for the most part I exbihit the most similarities to this group. Like many my eye doesn't blink, I have facial paralysis, and loss of hearing in one eye all on the right side. I also have left side weakness, increased tone, compromised circulation and balance issues. I have tried a number of things and wondering about acupuncture next. Done some research and it can be quite beneficial. Anyone tried it and had success? I have no idea how to pick a therapists.

ccooper

Re: Acupuncture for paralysis
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 10:55:07 pm »
Welcome! I've been going to acupuncture since my tumor removal Feb 2016. I have improving facial paralysis on one side. And neck muscle pain. My first practitioner was not great. Not acupuncture directly on the effected area (face) but more of an Western medicine approach of only using your hands and feet. Then I went to someone with experience with Bells Palsy (facial paralysis) that could work on my face. He has been EXCELLENT! I've had great progress. So much that I stopped two months ago to address some pain in my neck area. And then recovery on my face stalled so I'm back working the face region. My thing with acupuncture is even if it didn't work at all, I get a great 45 min nap each time. I find it very relaxing. As far as finding someone, I always ask now if they have experience with brain tumors, bells palsy or facial paralysis. 
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

Amz569

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 02:14:49 pm »
Thanks ccooper. I'm waiting to hear back from 2 acupuncturists. How often do you go? And how many until you started seeing results?

Machia2332

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:46:01 pm »
One thing I learned is that acupuncture is NOT the same with each practitioner.  There are different schools of acupuncture and some practitioners can be more skilled than others.  I would look for good reviews, especially from people who have gone to multiple practitioners and notice the difference.  (I found the only downside of finding a really good acupunturist is that they are usually very booked!)

ccooper

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:02:34 pm »
I go once a week or every other. I think it supported my facial paralysis recovery so I didn't see results right away but both my neuro surgeon and facial PT were very surprised at how quick my face was recovering. When I started treating the pain in my neck I saw results in about two treatments and each week the pain was gone longer each time.
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

Sanderson

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 05:20:11 pm »
I have been going to acupuncture for about a month now. I go once a week. I just switched to a new acupuncture person who has experience with other facial paralysis people. I am four months post-op. How long did you have to wait until your facial paralysis started to subside?

Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!

JLR

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 05:56:12 am »
Hello I had 14 acupuncture sessions. Did not work sorry to say.