Pre-Treatment Options > Pre-Treatment Options

Is Radiation an option for me?

(1/3) > >>

etam:
Hi all,
I live in Israel and was diagnosed with left side AN in July 2018 (a month ago).
Tumor size: 2.9X2.5X1.4, pushing the brainstem.
About 70% loss of hearing (left side), no Tinnitus, Dizziness, Vertigo or Headaches.

Consulted many doctors (ENT and Neurosurgeons) one of them is considered to be the top Neurosurgeon for AN in Israel. Most of them told me that my tumor needs to be operated and removed.
A week ago I met another neurosurgeon and a radio-surgeon who told me the tumor can be treated by radiosurgery.

Along the way I heard that after being treated with radiation the lesion is stiffer and it's harder to take it out in a surgery (should one be needed in the future). I also heard that after radiation, the tumor swells and it might push the brainstem even more (may cause damage). Did anybody hear or know whether any of this is true?
The radio-surgeon dismissed both problems.

When I was sure that I'm heading towards an operation, I scheduled a consultation with Prof Bertalanffy a neurosurgeon from INI Hannover Germany (2 weeks from now), I know that he recommends a surgery in my case (obviously…).
I would appreciate names of top radio surgeons in Europe to have a second opinion whether radiosurgery is an option for me. My tumor size is exactly on the border of "to big to use radiation" so I want to be sure that it's an option before making the decision.

Thanks a lot,
Etai

Patti:
My thoughts are that if it is pushing on the brainstem you should have it removed. I am not a doctor.  Patti

gary.s:
Hi etam,

I had Cyber Knife radiosurgery about 3 1/2 months ago in Arizona. My tumor was a little smaller than yours and still within the limits of radiation instead of surgery. My tumor was beginning to push on my brainstem, hearing loss, dizziness and fatigue. My doctors told me that radiosurgery was an option not only due to the size, but also my age. I am 68 years old, and it is safer to risk radiation at my age since I only have another 15+ years. The doctors seem to recommend surgery for people much younger because no one really knows what will happen to a person in 30-40 years after radiation. This is something you really need to talk to your doctor about.

There is swelling after radiation, I am starting to feel that now. More ringing in my ear, facial numbness and some dizziness. Most of this will go away after the swelling reduces, but this can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. I am sorry that you are dealing with this, but the forum has been very helpful to me and many others. Keep asking questions and learn as much about this as you can before you make a final decision.  Best of luck.

Gary

etam:
Thanks Gary and Patti,

Have you (or anyone else...) heard that after radiation treatment, the tumor becomes sticky and harder to remove by surgery?

Citiview:
Hi

I was told by a prominent doctor/surgeon that if radiation fails then surgery is more risky.
I also heard the same thing in a webinar by Dr. Link at Mayo in Minnesota. (That webinar is in the ANA member section)

I think radiation close to the brain stem is risky because it's the neural pathway to the rest of your body so if something goes wrong it's really bad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version