Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

Thinking of Surgery

(1/2) > >>

tinab:
Anyone out there have middle fossa for a small AN (under 1 cm).  I have hearing loss in my right ear no other symptoms but the hearing loss has happened in the last two months.  Since it is small and I qualify for middle fossa I have a chance to remove and save hearing (fingers crossed). I am scheduled in September with Dr. Friedman at UCSD. Any comments experiences out there would be greatly appreciated.

ANSydney:
Why not have a follow up MRI to see if your tumor is still growing?

tinab:
My MRI was in May and no growth then my hearing slowly went overnight. Doctors don't think it is growing just normal wear and tear from the tumor.
Right now I am 47 and the tumor is small and I qualify for the Middle Fossa. I have been told by all doctors that I will in my lifetime have to act on this tumor .  My thought is I am not getting younger and I may be in the best place to do it right now.   UGGHHH this decision is so hard to make.  >:D

notaclone13:
If I were your age, and considering your hearing is gone, I would want the thing out. Then chances are very great, especially because it is small, that you can get on with your life and not look back. You will have a great surgical team and they do thousands of these surgeries. For an older person like me, radiosurgery is a better option. Older bodies don’t heal as well. But for you, having it removed so it is gone seems the best choice. The important thing is to make the decision you are most comfortable with and go with it.

gary.s:
I agree with ANSydney, why not wait and see if the tumor is growing when you take your next MRI. This will give you some time to think about your options and make the appropriate decision. Best of luck.

Gary

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version