Author Topic: New to the forum, multiple questions (Gamma, insurance, left side/right handed)  (Read 5334 times)

notaclone13

Ativan tablets come in 0.5, 1.0 or 2 mg strengths. I would estimate that 2 pills of the maximum strength,  namely 2 mgs would result in LaLa land for most of us. Of course, everyone’s drug tolerance is different. If whatever dose they give you doesn’t do the trick, you can probably ask for a bit more. They want you to be relaxed and comfortable so you don’t have the urge to move during the procedure.

rupert

They numb the pin sights with a numbing paste then once that takes effect they give you a shot of novacain in each area where the pins go.  You really won't feel a thing regardless of any anxiety drugs.  I don't remember being sedated in any way but, maybe  I didn't notice if they did.

juliawilson

In answer to your  June 16 query: Yes, the CyberKnife treatment I received was done over three days--about 20 minutes each day.

buzneg

Well...48 hours from GK time.   Any last minute advice out there?

I was told to start picking out a vestibular rehab therapist place for them to send a referal to when we wrap up, ya know for balance exercises etc.

March 1, 2018 - Hearing loss left side, acute vertigo
March 2, 2018 - MRI show 13 x 7 mm AN (probably growing)
May 2018 - ENT/audiologist indicate 100% hearing loss on left side is permanent
June 29, 2018 -  GK at Wake Forest in NC
Dec.2018 -  MRI shows zero growth
Jan.2020 MRI shows tumor shrinking

notaclone13

Wishing you smooth sailing on your GammaKnife journey this week-end.  Please keep us in the loop and let us know how it goes. 

SET WE300B

I had the Gamma Knife procedure done five years ago at Johnson-Willis in Richmond VA: Doctor Sahni. The AN was successfully liquidated.

No problems with head frame although they gave me pain medication right before they removed it. The pressure release can sometimes be painful. My hearing was mostly gone and didn't expect an improvement. I ruled out a surgical solution because of all of the potential side effects. I think there may be a threshold where the radiation option is not recommended for younger people. A large blast of radiation to the head area of a twenty something may have unforeseen risks later in life.

buzneg

Well, I'm alive and well.  Some issues with bleeding from the right rear pin-spot when they took the frame off.  Other than that, piece of cake.  If I can go get this done, there is  nobody who can't do this if needed.  The drugs were a bonus  :P seriously if the follow-up MRI shows what we hope for in 6 months, I should be home free.

Then we went to Carolina Ale House for lunch (no beer yet) and chowed down with no problems.  It's amazing that you can get a tumor zapped and feel so normal when you leave.

8)

March 1, 2018 - Hearing loss left side, acute vertigo
March 2, 2018 - MRI show 13 x 7 mm AN (probably growing)
May 2018 - ENT/audiologist indicate 100% hearing loss on left side is permanent
June 29, 2018 -  GK at Wake Forest in NC
Dec.2018 -  MRI shows zero growth
Jan.2020 MRI shows tumor shrinking

notaclone13

Hi Buzneg,
So good to hear that things went well today. Thanks for letting us know. Glad to hear you felt good enough to go out for dinner.  Hope you have a smooth recovery while your alien invader shrinks into oblivion.