Author Topic: Change Doctor Advice  (Read 1822 times)

Surfer

Change Doctor Advice
« on: July 28, 2018, 01:19:45 pm »
I am not satisfied with my doctors communication skills and would like to go forward with someone else.  He and his team did a wonderful job in surgery removing a 4.3 cm tumor. They left behind a fairly significant portion on the facial nerve that may require treatment in the future.  Had anyone changed doctors in the following the operation? What was your experience? There are other top surgeons in the New York / New Jersey area and it seems like their bedside manner is high by reading posts on this site. California travel is also an option although it does not seem necessary in this location.  Thank you.
February 2016- 4.6 cm removed at Sloan Kettering NY by Dr. Gutin and Dr. Selesnick.  Residual left behind to preserve the facial nerve. Two year MRI indicates a shrinking of the residual. Three year MRI indicates no change in size.

Abetpds

Re: Change Doctor Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 03:50:07 pm »
Why do you need to see a neuro or skull based surgeon after surgery?  Are you having complications? I had mine about a month ago 4cm translab in San Diego and am still having pains.  I hear that this is normal - not sure when I would travel fro GA to CA to see the docs? Does anyone recommend seeing your surgeons after 1-2 months? Under what situation?
Regina

Surfer

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 11:07:21 am »
Abetpds,
My surgery was completed just over two years ago.  I've had four MRI's since the surgery followed by visits with the surgeon or telephone meetings. I continue yearly MRI's to monitor the residual tumor left behind on my facial nerve for stability, decrease or increase in growth.  The problem I am having with my surgeon is his lack of communication during the follow up talks. I have questions like any patient would after a serious surgery. He is short and I am generally left with more questions than answers following our discussions. He seems unprepared and its doubtful he even looked at the last MRI and depended on the report summary from my local radiologist. He also got me mixed up with another patient thinking I had previously undergone radiation. In the case of growth, the tumor would be treated with radiation or surgery (or continued watch and wait). Based on his communication style, I would not feel comfortable trying to gain an understanding of the available options from his council. Those are some of the reasons for my continued relationship with the surgeon. 

Wishing you the best in your recovery.
February 2016- 4.6 cm removed at Sloan Kettering NY by Dr. Gutin and Dr. Selesnick.  Residual left behind to preserve the facial nerve. Two year MRI indicates a shrinking of the residual. Three year MRI indicates no change in size.

MarlaB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 04:55:24 pm »
I have heard of many people who change the surgeon/medical provider who monitors them after surgery for many reasons including yours. Sometimes it's because they have moved away from their physician, sometimes because they felt they didn't get the attention they wanted, as in your case. Does your doctor respond better to emails or phone calls than in person? Only you can decide if you are not getting the best treatment you could get, what would make you feel more confident?

Surfer

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 09:31:14 am »
Thank you for the encouragement

Surfer

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 09:43:02 am »
I've heard that some surgeons will not accept patients that had surgery with another doctor. That's why I asked the question.

Patti

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 12:44:01 pm »
Oh Surfer! I hear you!  My first neurosurgeon saw me 15 years later when my local neurologist detected growth on an MRI. He referred me to a radiation oncologist at Montefire hospital. I had stereotactic radiation done by him, but the follow up visits were torture.  He also had bad communication and would not validate my concerns, or have the correct tests done, or read the MRI wrong.  The list goes on. Now i just stay in upstate NY and get my MRI done locally.  When and if something needs to be don I will DEFINITELY go to a new doctor in NYC.
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015