Author Topic: Benign (AN) cell biology vs. Cancer cell biology  (Read 2303 times)

In My Head

Benign (AN) cell biology vs. Cancer cell biology
« on: July 04, 2018, 02:29:35 pm »
Hey everyone,

I’m looking to tap the vast store of knowledge that is present on these boards. Now I’m dealing with a 9mm regrowth of my AN that was removed (completely, they thought) 9 years ago.

The internet is replete with stories (and I know one personally) of people driving cancer into remission with agressive nutrition or herbal therapies/treatment. There is actually some science behind this also (mistletoe, frankincense).

The internet is also replete with different ideas for beating cancer, from the plausible (overdosing on nutrition, some herbs, etc.) to the quacky (light and sound therapy).

My question is this: can anyone articulate the differences in cell biology between cancerous cells and benign tumor cells like ANs? Could these alternative therapies hold any hope for slowing or stopping the growth of a benign tumor?

Specifically, I’m wondering if anyone has experienced some control over tumor growth with tons of nutrition (fruits and vegetables) and/or sugar elimination.

Blw

Re: Benign (AN) cell biology vs. Cancer cell biology
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 08:32:00 pm »
I think the problem is that there can be true anectodotal stories for any cure. The problem is that if you did a controlled study, very few if any would show a statistically significant outcome due only to the type of therapy. I'm sure many of these things can help, especially with discomfort, but it is hard to demonstrate any effect on remission. I think for AN's there may be a slight effect with aspirin. But these are such slow growing tumors that these studies would take quite some time. One difference between a benign and cancerous tumor is that benign tumors don't matasticize and either don't invade surrounding tissue or are not as aggressive.

In My Head

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 10:19:09 pm »
Good thoughts. I hadn’t heard that on the aspirin before.

extropy

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 01:42:38 am »
I'm no expert. It seems there are ueful markers, like Ki-67.
Patients with a higher Ki-67 index had the highest tumor (AN) regrowth rates.
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0300060516686873
2014 - at age 65 problems with left ear (tinnitus, imbalances, deafness, short-memory problems, etc).
2014 - MR found VS, 3.5 cm circa.
2014 - Exeresis, in Rome, RS approach,  followed by hydrocephalus ... and shunt.
2018 - AN has regrown, volume is 2.6 cm3.
2018 - GK (Humanitas, Milan)