Author Topic: finding statistics  (Read 4283 times)

madison

finding statistics
« on: February 15, 2010, 09:57:00 am »
hi everyone! well, i stayed home from work today. i had vertigo for the first time and boy is it a horrible feeling!  i am at my 2 yr. post- gamma knife trtmt. i've had several wonky headed moments up til now. the past few nights i've had trouble sleeping...when i start to drift off, i get this weird feeling like i might stop breathing or sometimes a weird sensation that is hard to describe, but feels like i'm being pulled out of my body or something. i finally fell asleep and i woke up to use the bthrm. and the room was spinning and i wasn't even sitting up yet! it finally stopped-and just in time because i thought i might throw-up.now i feel o.k....my an side hurts a little right at the ear opening. i don't know what to do..my next mri isn't scheduled until may. i think i'll call my neuro doc and see what he says. any advice? oh- so my original question was how do i find out how many an surgeries a hospital/doctor does? i asked my doc and they only do about 35 per year. does anyone know how many dr. golfinos does? thanks for your help and support.
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Re: finding statistics
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:14:08 am »
Hi Madison.

Sorry, other than calling the surgeons that you are interested in, I'm not sure how you can find out their statistics.

Hope the vertigo is gone and you're feeling better.  I can imagine how horrible/frustrating that would be!

Adrienne

P.S.  Nice name.  My daughter's name is Madison.  :-)
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:23:30 am »
I have really awful bouts of vertigo. Zofran is my best friend. It is expensive, but there are other similar drugs that will steady you. Good luck.

sues1953

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 11:24:27 am »
HI all,

I find my self wondering the same thing, even if you call the surgeon can you just ask how many AN surgeries do you do?  Then you want to know how successful the outcomes are and there are so many complications.  I feel that this information should be public record on each Dr. but unfortunately it isn't.  I think it has something to do with the Heppa Laws  ???  It sure would make the research thing A LOT easier.

Good Luck !

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 12:28:48 pm »
I find my self wondering the same thing, even if you call the surgeon can you just ask how many AN surgeries do you do?  

Yes you can - and lots do.

Statistics can be shown if the names are removed to comply with HIPPA laws.

Madison -  I don't know any of Dr. Golfinos' statistics, but from what I've heard he and Dr. Roland are great doctors.  

Jan
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:32:17 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pb

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 07:36:17 am »
Hello,

I actually came right out and asked the doctor how many AN's he had done. He was not offended by the question. I think that is your right as a patient to know his experience. Paula

sues1953

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 09:23:16 am »
Yes I know you can ask the Doctor how many AN surgeries he does.......you just can't get a hard copy of that information and the outcomes (as far as I know)  I also know that you can get statistics but the point being to have the Dr's name on them.

I can liken it to the Olympics.  Each country has to have a team to compete in a particular sport.  How do they chose that team?  They can't just look at all the athletes stats and. put a team together  with no names.  It would be like eenie meeni minee moe!  They want to know the stats of each individual.  They want the "GOLD"  8)

I am sure there are reasons that this cannot happen with Doctors that has to do with The Heppa Laws. 

I think we touched on this subject on another thread.  I'm just saying "Wouldn't it be Great?  ;D

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:54:03 pm »
I also know that you can get statistics but the point being to have the Dr's name on them.

Just my opinion, but stats don't mean a whole lot until they are applied to you and your case.  Nothing in life is a guarantee - least of all the side-effects of AN treatment; be it surgery or radiation.  Diagnostic MRIs only show so much, sometimes docs don't get a "true" picture until they open your head; location and size of tumors have a lot of bearing on outcomes; etc.  Just because someone had a fantastic experience with a particular doctor doesn't mean that all patients who are treated by that doctor will have the same fantastic experience.

I definitely believe in doing research and I also believe that recommendations and referrals are worth their weight in gold.  But in the end, in my opinion, the way you choose a doctor is to find one who is qualified and experienced and who you have absolute faith, trust, and confidence in and comfort with.  Not every doctor is for every patient.  But once you find "the one" you generally know it.  Gut reactions speak volumes.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

shilu

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 02:52:22 pm »
Greetings !! I would like to know how you are doing and the long term effects of Gamma knife. I also have a .6mm tumor and currently having tinnitus and some wobbly.
I am thinking of doing a radiosurgery either Gamma Knife or CyberKnife. Please advise.

notaclone13

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 08:56:32 pm »
Shilu, do you mean a 0.6 cm tumor? If you had a 0.6 mm tumor it would not be likely to cause any problem or even be detectable on an MRI. So I think you must mean it measures 0.6 cm or 6 mm.