Author Topic: AN and Exercise  (Read 2360 times)

golfguy49

AN and Exercise
« on: June 24, 2018, 07:24:53 am »
For a number of years now, exercise has been a struggle.   Not because of motivation, age, or pain, but because I would get light-headed and dizzy (seeing stars) and that would eventually cut my work-out short.  Even when I am not feeling any balance issues while resting, once I start rigorous exercise or yard projects, my head goes wonky on me after about 10-15 minutes.  I wonder if anyone else has experienced this sensation, and if you also believe it might have something to do with the AN?  I was diagnosed just a few months ago, but I am starting to put some puzzle pieces together as to why working out may have been so disproportionately difficult in recent years.  Even a 1-2 mile walk gets more difficult toward the end.

March 2018: 10 x 5 x 5 mm AN diagnosed April 2018.  October 2018: 12 x 5 x 5 mm.  Considering surgery in early 2019.
October 2019: 14 x 5 x 5mm.  Surgery scheduled for late Jan 2020.
January 2020:  Surgery at NW Hospital in Chicago area done by Drs. Fishman and Brayton

notaclone13

Re: AN and Exercise
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 08:46:58 am »
I have been going through almost the exact same thing as you with an AN measuring 8 x 3 mm.  At first I attributed it to being older and out of shape.  After walking 15 minutes or so I would get so disoriented I would have to sit down until it passed. During a training session at the gym that included some floor exercises, I got so dizzy I had to stop. Judging by the size of your AN it is likely of the intracannalicular variety or in the IAC.  These relatively small IAC tumors are often associated with more dizziness and balance issues than larger tumors outside the canal.  As you look through posts on the forum you will find many people with ANs experience more symptoms upon  exercising or start to experience problems with certain yoga positions. What you are experiencing is quite common with ANs, you are not alone.  Quite a few people in the watch and wait category find running, cycling and walking important to maintaining good balance despite the AN. I have found the forum posts regarding exercise and balance issues to be a very good source of information and shared experiences.

JD808

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 07:43:55 pm »
I also suffer from similar symptoms once my exercise level rises to the aerobic level. At 47 and a former competitive cross fitter, regular walking doesn’t affect me. It’s only when I take the intensity level up that I notice a higher level of wonkiness and discomfort.  It’s not necessarily painful, just discomfort that I experience. Tinnitus increases as well.

I am slated for removal of my AN which is in the IAC in 2 weeks due to escalating symptoms so I am hopeful this will get resolved.
Diagnosed 1.5cm x .08cm x 1.1cm AN right ear 5/2018
Total hearing loss in right ear at 5/2018 and significant balance issues.
Translab surgery Friedman and Schwartz UCSD 7/18/18
80% tumor removal due to facial nerve adhesion
Balance issues solved, no facial nerve issues.

mac84

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 07:07:37 am »
Good morning!  I have been running 15-25 miles per week since my diagnosis back in 2014. You'll see that my AN is around 1.4 cm but I suspect that my balance was being taken over by my right side before I had the diagnosis.  I get the 'wonkey head' feeling at other times rather than exercising. About the only thing I can point to is a bit of dizziness on a run but then again that could be from the exertion in the 100% humidity and the heat in Alabama. There are times when it just is a struggle that don't make any sense given my fitness level....maybe I can point to the AN for that.

I'm on the W/W and will remain that way until something changes. I'll run as long as I can! Good luck!
Diagnosed 10/13/14 with 1.4cm AN L side
1st Consult with Vanderbilt 11//14
W/W.  Next MRI in April 2015 at Vanderbilt.
April 2015 MRI no growth -
April 2016 MRI no growth - still 1.46cm.
4/17: No growth!
4/18: No growth! MRI 2 yrs
4/20: No growth! Symptoms stable- MRI 2 yrs