General Category > Hearing Issues

Your iphone might be able to help you cope with one-sided deafness

(1/3) > >>

Machia2332:
I got really excited when I heard this news about a feature of iOS 12. 

A feature of iOS12 not announced at the latest WWDC event is a feature called Live Listen.

Live Listen was a utility previously reserved for use with hearing aids, but the new iOS version allows you to use it to listen via AirPods (Apple's Bluetooth earbuds) to the audio received by your iPhone's microphone.   :o

This sounds like a very affordable alternative to a bi-cross hearing aid for people trying to cope with one-sided deafness.  :)
If you have a compatible iPhone, the AirPods cost about $160. 

I've included a link to the article where I discovered this.  iOS 12 is predicted to be available during September 2018, the Beta version should be available 6/26/18. 

https://apple.news/A_ysoFKZARXa5_rv-xkAy1Q

ANSydney:
Technology solves a lot of problems.

SET WE300B:
I feel there is a tremendous opportunity to tap the computing power of today's mobile devices to control and manage hearing systems. A hope for the future is that new companies will exploit this. Hearing aid technology has been constrained for decades in producing devices whose primary focus is to be as small and invisible as possible. As the younger generation matures and begins to require hearing assistance I believe they will care less about the size and configuration of the microphone array needed to support a superior level of sound capture and reproduction technology. All one has to do is observe the many kinds of headphones and ear buds that young people have permanently stuck in their ears. The designers of future hear aid systems will be free of the associated stigma that hampered previous generations. One day people will marvel at how limited our hearing aids and Bicros systems are.

Machia2332:
I downloaded the Beta version of iOS12 on my iPhone to try out the live listen feature.  I noticed that in quiet places where I can hear people easily, there seems to be an echo when the audio from the iPhone mic goes to the air pod on my hearing side.  I think the Live Listen feature will work best in problem hearing areas like restaurants, bars, etc.  I did notice one time while outdoors where it helped me hear things on my deaf side that I normally wouldn't.  That was a cool feeling. 
***The other cool feature with the Air Pods is that for someone with one-sided deafness, the sound quality with music playback seems much better than other ear buds.  From an article that I read, normal ear buds split the sound into left and right channels, so that if you're wearing just one, you get a partial range of sound that is meant for one side in stereo playback.  Air Pods are designed so that they detect when you're just wearing one of them and you get a broader spectrum of sound on that side.  I'm enjoying music with them more than I have in a long time.   :)

tarheelEH:
I would like to ask if anyone know about another EarPods that just comes out this year. This one seems compete with AirPods market.  Will it be comparable to Apple brand’s LiveListen feature once OS 12 is available this fall?  It’s much cheaper though. Here is the link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DJ8B11J/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A33ZEMIFFMF9OL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version