Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

New to the forum, multiple questions (Gamma, insurance, left side/right handed)

(1/5) > >>

buzneg:
Was diagnosed March 2nd via MRI with AN of 7 by 13mm.  Symptoms were 100% loss of hearing on left side and acute severe vertigo.

Was advised by a radiation oncologist that being right handed (right side dominant) and having a tumor on the left side is particularly not good.  It was part of why I am opting (if Blue Cross PPO will go along with it) for Gamma Knife this summer.  Was advised back in the early part of this by a neurologist that to go from mild symptoms around Feb. 24 to severe symptoms a week later with total hearing loss could indicate the tumor is growing quickly.  There is also concern that if our insurance changed and we opted for W&W, the next insurance company might cry "pre-existing condition - not our problem" if it does grow more, leaving me with a $100,000+  problem as opposed to a $7000 co-pay.

Was anybody else reminded of the right-left issue by their neuro dr in a consultation?  About facial palsy that could occur if it continues to grow?

Anyone else had this insurance (potential) dilemma in mind when weighing their options?  How long did insurance take to pre-approve if they did?

Thanks in advance.  Best wishes to all.

Director:
Dear Buzneg,
  I am puzzled by a few things you were told and just want to implore you to get more than one opinion about your treatment options. Many medical centers will also be able to walk you through the health insurance issues.
Allison, CEO, ANA

tarheelEH:
This is first time I hear about right-left dominant issue.  I visited 5 different pair neuro-ENT  doctors before the tumor was surgically removed. And I am right handed with left side tumor. None of these doctors even mentioned about right-left issue and I am ok after surgery. And many research papers indicate that AN’s growth rate is not linear correlated to symptoms, only periodically MRI scans can tell if tumor has grow rapidly, although attention/action is needed if symptoms getting worse.

gary.s:
As the AN tumor grows on the 8th cranial nerve, it can push on the 7th cranial nerve which controls facial muscles and taste. When the tumor gets large enough, you may feel numbness on the AN side of your face. This does not happen to everyone. My tumor started growing very fast, and I lost the ability to taste most things and developed numbness on my AN side of the face. This all took place within a 6 month period of time, and I was advised by my neurologist to have Cyber Knife radiation immediately. I finished my treatment about 6 weeks ago. I agree with Allison, get more than one opinion.

Gary

buzneg:
I did actually consult with 2 different neurologists (one in Florida and one in Nashville); two different neurosurgeons (one in Nashville and one in North Carolina); plus an ENT in Tennessee and a radiation oncologist in North Carolina.  A total of 6 opinions have been rendered from 6 different respected physicians. Plus two different MRIs - one without contrast and a higher powered one later without and with contrast. (included a "temporal bone cut" whatever that is) And a CT scan before the first MRI.

One of the consultations was a 6.5 hour drive each direction.  This really does not seem like there was any corner cutting in the process.  If anything, the due diligence in the process was by the book, as instructed by the first contact with a neurologist in Florida.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version