Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

Hearing Loss

(1/1)

Noni1968:
I was diagnosed with a 8x5mm AN almost 2 years ago, wait and watch. Two weeks ago I started to have loud tinnitus and echoing. I have lost 50% of my hearing and my balanced is worst than ever. Have an MRI next week. Thoughts?

Freelander:
Tinnitus is not fun.   For me, it was one of the first signs that I had an acoustic neuroma, along with hearing loss, which is about 50% on the tumor side now, and over three years when both symptoms first appeared.   It's good that you are having another MRI (cautionary note: make sure you are not allergic to Gadolinium, the metal based contrast used to light up the tumor).  Share your story with doctors who are highly experienced with acoustic neuromas, do your homework, and keep learning and sharing as much as you can to control and manage the condition.

Regarding symptoms, including balance, the location of the tumor may be a bigger factor than tumor size in generating unwanted symptoms. 

Much information can be gleaned by scanning these discussion boards. 

What did the MRI reveal?

Citiview:
I think one harbinger of imminent hearing loss is stronger tinnitus. The risk of watch and wait is that you can lose hearing. It's also the risk if you radiate or have surgery so we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Many doctors don't want to operate on one that small, but if a patient really insists then they will do it. I was warned that I might suddenly, or slowly over time lose hearing. This is a tough thing to hear from a doctor. I guess it's better to know it might happen then to not know. Either way it's tough. Sorry that it has happened to you.
We gamble with the hearing situation. With small tumors many doctors look for growth or hearing changes to trigger surgery. It's a gamble to operate on a perfect ear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version