Pre-Treatment Options > Pre-Treatment Options

Newly Diagnosed

(1/2) > >>

larue210:
Hello everyone.  Looking for your advice as I was recently diagnosed with acoustic neuroma.

I am 52. 
AN is in right ear only
Noticed symptoms 2 months ago
diagnosed 3 weeks ago
tumor is 14mm  1.4 cm so considered small
I have tinnitus and still maintain hearing, although it is diminished. 
I live in Rochester Minnesota and I doctor at Mayo
Met with Dr. Driscol and Dr. Link on April 17

Was informed I have three options, Gamma Knife, Surgery, Wait and See
I am assuming you are familiar with the pros and cons of each

Gamma Knife for my situation seems to be the less desirable. 

Most friends and family think waiting is the best option.  Doctors felt that even in six months if tumor grew, it could still be fully removed. Waiting could result in further growth, decreased hearing but could also show that tumor is not growing and no surgery is needed in 6 months.  Etc...

Surgery, while no small matter, including recovery, provides 95%-100% complete removal and a greater probability of retaining some hearing.  Would mean giving up summer activities, especially boating/water-skiing which is my primary hobby. 

I am currently on the fence.
Thoughts?

Thank you. 

mac84:
Larue, I'm the same age you are but am 4 years into the Watch and Wait. My AN is also 1.4cm and has not grown since it was diagnosed.

I have an MRI each year and manage my hearing loss and tinnitus without much issue. I run 15-25 miles each week and also mountain bike.

I guess like anything else I've really gotten used to the AN over these 4 years and I'll simply continue the W/W as long as I can.

Hang in there!

larue210:
Great news.  Rejoicing with and for you.  I am still on the fence regarding surgery and watching and waiting.  It is rather weird to be honest.  Waiting seems the most logical but there is a noticeable desire to take the surgical path.  Not sure why.  Thanks for your reply. 

Matthew:
Hi Larue,
My name is Matt. I had a R 2.0cm AN removed at Mayo Clinic this past October. Like you, I also live in Rochester. For starters, you can be confident that no matter which treatment you opt for- you are in very skilled and diligent hands. Please check your messages... I will send you a private message with more info.
-Matt

Greece Lover:
one of the weird thing about these tumors is that most of us have "options."  I opted for surgery and am glad I did; sounds like a similar situation to yours.  Mayo has a good reputation for these things. 

I think you'll be able to waterski after surgery.  Not right away, of course! But eventually. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version