Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Cyber Knife and CBD Oil

(1/1)

gary.s:
I will begin my Cyber Knife treatment on Monday, April 16. Five sessions next week at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, Arizona. Nervous to say the least, but solid with my decision.

I have read that CBD oil, which is extracted from hemp plants, can help with a variety of medical issues. Has anyone tried using CBD oil to help with the recovery from radiation. Just wondering if this is worth a try.

Gtmochi:
Hi Gary,

I start my treatment on 4/23!

The same question is on my mind - I hope someone can elucidate. If not, I'll ask the doctors when I go for treatment and report back.

Prompted by my anxiety at diagnosis (which resulted in not sleeping well) I began taking CBD (as a tincture) for about the last month. Boy - it doesn't make me sleepy, but when I fall asleep I am 100% asleep. I no longer wake up with my brow furrowed or to scour the internet for information about ANs  ;).  Additionally, I've noticed that it also seems to help me overall - the slight face tingling has reduced quite a bit (although it was not so bad before, and may have been exacerbated due to lack of sleep). Sleeping well will be really important to healing, and I understand that CBD is good for inflammation. It makes sense that it might help in some way..even just as an aid to restful zzzzs.

Somewhat related, I have been taking a supplement called Green Vibrance. I read that Sulforaphane miiiiggghhht hinder AN growth (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/309657837_Sulforaphane_a_natural_component_of_broccoli_inhibits_vestibular_schwannoma_growth_in_vitro_and_in_vivo _  ) which was enough for me to start taking some in the form of Green Vibrance. It's gots loads of Sulforaphane (among other things). After taking it, I for sure feel brighter...despite its gnarly taste (I drink it mixed in water with a cranberry juice chaser). It has all sorts of good-for-you ingredients so I figure at the very least I am supporting my health.

Good luck with your treatment!

gary.s:
Hi Gtmochi,

Thanks for the information. I have not tried CBD oil yet, and do not want to try anything new at this point in time since I have CK in a few days. I wish I would have learned about it months ago, especially for the sleep issues. Maybe CBD oil can help reduce some of the side effects of radiation like vertigo and headaches. It is worth a try. The broccoli extract is interesting also, anything that makes you feel better is important.

Looks like your tumor is about the same size as mine, 2.07 cm x 1.70 cm on my right side. My hearing is almost completely gone on the tumor side, and my face is numb also. I will keep you posted on how things are going next week. Be strong and good luck to you also.

Gary 

notaclone13:
Gtmochi,
Thanks for the info on Sulforaphane and the link to the publication. You can also buy it in capsule form. Hoping the Cyberknife procedure  goes well for both you and Gary with no ill effects. Looking forward to hearing about good outcomes from both of you.

Gtmochi:
Hi Gary + Notaclone!

Gary, I totally understand about not wanting to try something new before your treatment. I only know about the CBD oil because I was such a basket case  post diagnosis and was desperate to find something to help me sleep that didn't also impair me. My husband knows someone who owns a dispensary, so we went and spoke to him. He told me that a lot of insomniacs use CBD because for them, its not going to sleep that is the problem - it's staying asleep. That was my problem as well! He also told us that the CBD helps with anxiety. It's helped me with that, too.

Our ANs are totally in the same size range (mine is bigger, though - sigh) - but we are for sure in this together! At the moment, my hearing loss is mild in my AN ear, I have tinnitus (not bothersome - luckily) and some tingling on my AN side. After diagnosis 2/15, I’ve encountered a few moments of feeling motion sick but they pass very quickly, and are, funnily enough, made better if I keep moving - go for a walk, clean the kitchen - anything (I work from home). I ride horses (1-3 each time) about 5 times a week, and I never feel off balance or motion sick when I am aboard a horse or at the gym. Which seems to me counterintuitive. But there you have it!

In any event, best wishes - and thank you, Notaclone for your well wishes! I am crossing my fingers and thinking positive thoughts for all of us  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version