Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

Intracanalicular ANs poll

(1/7) > >>

notaclone13:
Hi All,  when recently diagnosed with an 8 mm x 3 mm intracanalicular AN I initially thought that the fact that the tumor was confined to the canal was a good thing. Because this meant the tumor was not near the brain stem. However, based on what I have read it now seems that intracanalicular tumors, even if relatively small may cause more symptoms and problems than bigger tumors located elsewhere.  I am interested in knowing how many of us have tumors confined to the IAC.  If your tumor (either treated or untreated) is located in the IAC would you mind posting on this thread?
Thanks,

M.A.

Citiview:
notaclone13
An intracanalicular tumor is considered at a less advanced stage than if it starts to come out of the canal. People's symptoms vary regardless of size and location of tumor. That's what I've noticed after reading posts all these years. People can have a large tumor and almost no symptoms or a very small one and lots of symptoms. Also, people can sometimes lose hearing with a very small tumor but some people with larger tumors may retain hearing for a long time.

ANSydney:
I have a 2.4 x 2.5 x 2.9 cm tumor and my hearing is still OK. I get my hearing tested every month and the last test has the PTA at 45 dB and Word Recognition at 94%. I can use a telephone in my AN affected ear, but it's noticeably inferior.

I just called a friend and we had a telephone conversation and I understood every word.

notaclone13:
An Sydney, just curious, do you have any sound distortion in your AN ear?  In January I mostly had pulsatory tinnitus.  Now I have constant  high pitched tinnitus and sound distortion in the AN ear. Loud sounds make it worse, so I find it helpful to plug the ear with cotton (foam ear plugs don't work very well) or use an earphone and play the free Widex tinnitus app that I downloaded to my phone.  I can't help but believe that the tumor must be growing, although I won't know that for sure until the next MRI in June.  I decided that if it has grown in the 6 month period I would prefer to act rather than wait for it to grow larger and do more damage. I am finding the W&W strategy very difficult to do.  It is like waiting for the other shoe to fall.

ANSydney:
My AN ear is not as clear as my other ear, but I can carry on a conversion on the telephone. I've got low level tinnitus sometimes, which if I concentrate I can notice. Sometimes, after I stand up, I sometimes get a pulsating softish boom-boom at the same rate as my pulse. It goes within 5 minutes.

I'm the opposite t you. I find W&W easy to do. The good news is that it's been stable over the past three MRIs. If it was growing, more than about 2 mm, it would probably make me anxious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version