Author Topic: Physo therapy  (Read 4322 times)

SMC

Physo therapy
« on: November 20, 2006, 01:26:31 pm »
I have had my sergury for 15 months now. My facail nerve was not cut during the operation but my left side of the face is still paralyzed. In my last visit ot the doctors which was 6 months ago, they said nothing can be done just wait until a year has passed to give the nerve time to recover.  I don't see any improvement or it is very slow one that is not noticeable.   I am kind of lazy going for another checkup just for them to say nothin except wait.  the doctor said a fter a year from the operation they will start Physo Therapy.  has anyone done this before? does it help? What are the excersises?  I have a feeling that it is not that important if the problem is inthe nerve then these excersises are not of much help.  I already try to massage my face and eat gum alot.  Any comments will be really helpful
thanks

chelsmom

Re: Physo therapy
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 11:30:55 am »
Hi
My daughters neurologist was telling us about a Docter in his group that had an AN and he is just beginning to get the movement and sensation back on his nerve damaged side of the face.  He had his surgery 2 years ago.  He said sometimes it just takes time.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 12:18:27 pm »
Hi there - I've heard different things - don't start facial therapy until movement comes back (i have facial paralysis also, 5 months post op, facial nerve severed - transverse cut).   I go for acupuncture now (I'll try anything!!), & if/when I get facial movement I'll definitely go for facial therapy.   I've also heard it can take 2 years to see SOMETHING.   I've had a facial EMG, at 3 1/2 months it showed slight activity(my docs weren't expecting anything) , so my 7-12 nerve graft is on hold till repeat EMG in Jan.   Why don't you get a facial EMG - to see if some nerve fibers ARE rejuvenating??     Best of luck, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 08:29:07 pm »
Hi. I see Todd at UPMC, facial therapist. I didn't see him until 2 yrs post op and I've had great results in just 4 months. He said that he prefers to see patients as soon as they see some movement, even if it's just a flicker.

Todd does biofeedback training along with prescribed exercises specific to my needs. He explained to me that as long as there is some nerve action, you can build those nerves into super-nerves.

He is happy to answer questions over the phone. Let me know if you'd like his contact info.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

SMC

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:31:16 am »
Thanks for all the replies.  It does make me feel better to know that some people started getting movement after 2 years.   I thought since my nerve wasn't tacked then I should recover much faster.  I just guess patience is the key.  I will postpone getting another checkup for a while and also the Face Therapy since all recommend it once the movement starts (which makes sense)

Does the numbness in the head (in the area of the scare) also improve as the movement starts getting back?I still have this numbness on the left side of my head.  the area has gotten smaller since the operation but it is still a big area.  the strange thing is that I don't have any numbeness on my cheeks or face! Is this a good sign that the nerve is kind of working?

i did the EMG after 6 months from the operation and there was slight response but VERY little.  At the time they said that is a good sign but I don't feel any improvement since then I think if I do it again the results will be the same.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 12:28:53 pm »
Hi again - my otoneurologist told me to have another facial EMG 3 months after the 1st one showed a 'little blip'.

I also have the numbness along & directly behing the incision line.   You're ahead of me with the time thing (i'm 5 months post & you're 15), so I geuss I'll have it awhile longer too!!

I never had numbness on my face, no sensory problems, just movement problems  lol

Best regards, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Pembo

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 04:00:55 pm »
I've had numbness since the beginning, it's been 2 1/2 years. I noticed a lot of sensation returning after 18 months. I was told that sensation can take 5 years or MORE to return. Try using a handheld massager on your face, doing massage with your fingers, tapping your face, or holding an ice pack for a minute. All of these can help stimulate the sensation.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006