Author Topic: Cyber knife and cancer  (Read 3153 times)

robynabc

Cyber knife and cancer
« on: November 14, 2017, 05:44:54 pm »
Has anyone refused this route because of cancer down the road concerns? Meaning taking a benign tumor, putting radiation in it might cause cancer.  Not to scare anyone just wondering what info you were given.

Thank you.
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

ANSydney

Re: Cyber knife and cancer
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:25:48 pm »
This is probably the only reason to not do radiosurgery. (That and accelerated hearing loss.)

AndewG

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:47:10 pm »
Its been a year and a half since my wife died. 4 years after cyberknife and also having a shunt installed for hydrocephalus, she developed the rarest of rarest cancers that can occur. Perhaps 15 cases on the books to where it attacked her brain stem. She was in no pain. Things were going great after the cyberknife, then oct 2015 she got shooting pain in her mouth. and the following mri, showed the Acoustic Neuroma had gone from nothing all of a sudden to a quarter size tumor. Dont worry, Dont worry, these never turn cancerous we were told. Well hers did. Terminal type called Peripheral Malignet Sheath Tumor. She died 8 months later. I will post a full story about her and the nightmare that the hospital put her and me through, the night she went into a seizure. Let me just tell you the truth. If you are a terminally ill patient you have no rights. I dont know if my anger will ever go away at the hospital and the lies they had told me those last few weeks. But good luck and dont let me scare you. Like i said she was one in billions.

KeepSmiling

• details about patient written by wife.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 12:35:11 am »
I would like to express my sympathy and condolences for your loss.
12/O6/2O12: 1.5 cm lesion.Proton Therapy-July/Aug, 2013 Massachusetts General Hospital. 2/23/2018 MRI: 1. Small .5 cm x(AP) x .8 cm (TV) x .8 cm (CC )left intracanicular acoustic schwannoma) Completely deaf in one ear. Occasional tinnitus. Zero side effects.

KeepSmiling

• details about patient written by wife.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 12:47:27 pm »
This April 2018 article seems relevant to this discussion:
http://www.redjournal.org/article/S0360-3016(17)34284-0/abstract
Survival After Proton and Photon Radiation Therapy in Patients With Head and Neck Cancers: A Study of the National Cancer Database
M.R. Waddle, M. Heckman, N.N. Diehl, W. Stross, D. Miller, T. Kaleem, R.C. Miller, B.C. May Jr., J.L. Peterson, L.A. Vallow, K.S. Tzou, S. Ko
12/O6/2O12: 1.5 cm lesion.Proton Therapy-July/Aug, 2013 Massachusetts General Hospital. 2/23/2018 MRI: 1. Small .5 cm x(AP) x .8 cm (TV) x .8 cm (CC )left intracanicular acoustic schwannoma) Completely deaf in one ear. Occasional tinnitus. Zero side effects.