Post-Treatment > Eye Issues

gold weight and MRI

(1/5) > >>

Zan:
I just had my follow up with my eye surgeon. When I asked him about long term care and precautions,
He said "nothing special, but you can't get MRIs anymore".  I was so surprised since I know that a lot of you have weights and, I am assuming, you still get MRIs.  I searched the forum and found some old posts that mostly mentioned platinum weights, but all said that it was okay to get MRIs. 
So, I am curious, is this a new thing, or is my doctor wrong?

alabamajane:
San,
I had my gold weight for only a year 6 years ago,,  and I really can’t remember having an MRI with it but don’t remember being told I could not. I don’t believe it would be a problem but that’s just my opinion. You could always ask at the radiology Dept of the hospital.

I do have a post implanted in my skull for my BAHA hearing device and that is not a problem.
 Maybe someone else will respond with better info. Sorry. I just don’t remember it being a problem.

I will say that keeping your eye well lubricated is of utmost importance,,, ointment at night may help. I used it often and still do occasionally.

Good luck,,, maybe you won’t have yours long either!
Jane

kkc:
My experience:  I had my gold weight placed in January 2017 - and had an AN follow up MRI three months later.  Both my oculoplastic  surgeon and the MRI technician said it was fine.  The MRI tech took the time to look it up in the machine's manual to verify that it was OK.

vickieastwood:
Same here. I got a gold weight in 2015 and had an MRI in 2016 with no issues.

LakeErie:
An MRI is Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Gold is a non-magnetic metal so safe to use in MRI's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version