Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

Where to go--suggestions for AN surgeons?

<< < (3/3)

JackDuich:
I understand House Clinic is well regarded and had a teleconference with a Dr Miller after I sent in my MRI & test results. 40% hearing loss on right ear, tinnitus but no vertigo or balance. Tumor is 7mm x 9mm so is considered small.
Miller recommended translabyrinthine surgery with severing of my balance nerve which would destroy my remaining hearing & cause ~2+ months of dizziness.

I think this sounds pretty extreme. DukeHealth in the Raleigh / Durham area indicates gearing restoration is possible with middle fossa but I haven't spoken with them.

The gamma knife is not recommended for anyone under 65 (I'm 63) and House mentions gamma causes scar tissue that makes future surgery more complicated, if they have go to in later.

Anyone have any comments?

thanks - Jack

rupert:
Sure, I'll comment.  Whom ever told you Gamma Knife is not recommended under age 65 either has no experience or has an agenda.   Lots of people  under 65 have GK.   The translab procedure  mentioned does present the best view of the tumor and is usual treatment  if most of your hearing is gone.  Keep on researching Jack. Eventually you will find a team that you're comfortable with.  Good luck to you.

paganini:
Hi Everyone,
Just an update on my original post. I sent my information to House and Dr. Wilkinson called me.  He was wonderful and took his time with all possibilities for my situation.  He suggested watching and waiting since my AN is not interfering with day-to-day life.  I do have hearing loss (65%) but that will only worsen after surgery since they will sever the nerve.  My vertigo is minimal (only when I get up from lying down and just a few seconds).  It's not interfering with my quality of life or daily tasks.  The same week, the doctors I saw at Univ. of Miami (Teleschi and Morcos) called with the same conclusion. Dr. Wilkinson also assured me the team of doctors here in Miami are top-notch, so I'm in good hands wherever I go.  I will repeat an MRI in April to see if the AN has grown.  If not, I will continue to monitor and hope for the best.  Thanks for all the input thus far.

Pam Taylor:
I have an AN, symptomatic, which has grown in the past year to 1.0 to 1.8 cm. I live on the Gulf Coast and was referred to Moises Arriaga in New Orleans, LA. I am scheduled for translabryinth  surgery August 23rd at West Jefferson Medical Center, Dr. Frank Culicchia.  Does anyone have any experience with this neurosurgeon? Thank you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version