Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

Where to go--suggestions for AN surgeons?

(1/3) > >>

paganini:
Hi everyone.  I was recently diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma two weeks ago on my left side. I know I need to have it removed within the near future, despite it not being very large (.9cm).  I'm struggling with deciding on a doctor and location-- have had several suggestions, but need more answers.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on sending my info to House Ear Clinic and also visited Drs. Telechi and Morcos in Miami.  Any experience with any of these doctors? I'm overwhelmed and would greatly appreciate any and all input.  Many thanks.

paganini:
Thank you for your reply.  I have 65% hearing loss in my left ear.  Slight tinnitis, and vertigo that comes and goes, but is not debilitating. One of neurosurgeons I spoke to said he would not wait past 6 months to have it removed.  I never read it stopped growing once diagnosed.  I thought I should only expect it to grow more.  With that being said, I didn't want to prolong something until I was older (I'm 41).

Director:
AN Sydney- I showed the study you reference to the ANA Medical Advisory Board for their feedback. I want to caution that tumor growth, while typically slow, can also vary widely. In addition, there are other factors that may lead a patient to choose surgery or radiation for a small tumor.
Paganini, we are here to help- please let us know what we can do for you!
Allison Feldman
CEO, ANA

alabamajane:
Hi Paganini,,
I sent my MRI out to House before having surgery in Alabama more for personal reasons than any reason concerning House. I believe them to be excellent doctors and had a wonderful consult with Dr Slattery. I did not request him but he contacted me. I never talked to another doctor out there. He even called me one year later to see how I was doing,,, not even knowing I had had surgery. Very concerned and caring!

I think you , and anyone for that matter,, would be well served to get an opinion from them. There are also other doctors and facilities who will also provide the same complementary consult, I just don’t have that info handy. Others may chime in with it though.
I don’t have personal info on the Miami doctors either. Maybe someone else can help you there too.

It’s a hard decision to make but you have time on your side. Talk to doctors and heed their advice. We only offer personal experiences and non medical advice. ( except Allison) ,,,, only you can decide how to proceed for your symptoms and preferences.

Good luck and Happy Holidays,,
Jane

paganini:
Thank you all for your suggestions and information.  I really appreciate it.  It's so nice to know there is a group of individuals who have been through this too and can offer so much insight!  My neurosurgeon's office here in Miami called and said after having met with their team and reviewed my case, thought it best to wait six months and have another MRI.  I was happy to hear that.  I am sending my info to House on Monday and will hear their opinion as well.  I'm not in a rush to have the surgery, obviously, so if the consensus is to watch and wait, I will do so. 

I will look into the above link and see what other doctors also recommend.  My symptoms (vertigo and hearing loss) progressed greatly when I was pregnant with my first child (5 yrs. ago), then the vertigo went away.  It came back and hearing loss continued with my 2nd pregnancy (3 yrs ago) but due everything else in life, I never went back to the ENT to get an MRI. I really thought it was just a symptom of pregnancy and possibly genetic, since everyone in my family has hearing loss. I finally addressed the issues recently with an MRI and got the diagnosis. So, it's safe to say, slight hearing loss started 8 years; vertigo and progressed hearing loss started 5 yrs. ago. The vertigo was only present at the end of my pregnancies though, and two other times for a very short period of time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version