Author Topic: 4 Year Anniversary  (Read 2242 times)

v357139

4 Year Anniversary
« on: November 21, 2017, 07:40:31 pm »
Hi to the forum.  I have not been on much these days.  But yesterday was my four year anniversary of translab surgery at the House Clinic in LA for my 3.5cm AN.  It's hard to believe 4 years have passed already.  But in some ways it seems like a lifetime ago.  I stressed over it soooo much, but it is so behind me now.  While I tend to try and not push it too hard, I can do just about anything I used to do before surgery.  I am doing great!!!

My advice to newbies is to get educated, and have multiple consults (but not as many as me :)).  There is more to know than just what one doctor may know, or choose to tell you.  Different doctors have different training, and different strengths and weaknesses.  They generally will tell you about what they are most comfortable with.  I suppose that is human nature.  Knowledge is power, so get at least conversant in the options 1) Surgery, 2) Radiosurgery, 3) Wait and watch.  The more you know, the better questions you can ask.  Due your due diligence.

Once the analysis is done, then pivot to the other side of your brain.  Let you gut take over.  It will tell you who and what you are comfortable with, based on the info you gathered.  And go with a very experienced team.  There is no guarantee, but it gives you a great chance of a positive outcome.

I commend all of your who are giving lots of great advice.  And to those in the decision phase - we know how you feel.  We've been there, so we understand.  We've made it to the other side, and you will too.

God bless and best of luck.
Rich

PS: Anyone feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

SP

Re: 4 Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 03:50:22 am »
Hi Rich,

Its so awesome to hear that you are doing really well --thanks for sharing your story. Your summary of the AN experience is so insightful and absolutely spot on! Although i took a different route to you (CK), I can totally relate to the whole stressed out process.

Glad to be on the other side of too.

kind regards

Stella
My AN Story – Sydney to Stanford CK
2.3 x 2.2  June 2022@7yrs
2.9 x 2.9  May 2020@5yrs
2.9 cm  Mar 2019@4yrs
2.9 cm  Aug 2018@3yrs
3.1 cm  Aug 2017@2yrs
3.2 cm  Aug 2016@1yr
3.2x3.0x2.5cm AN; CK Aug 2015

Mlamb

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 07:42:22 am »
Congrats Rich on your four year anniversary!  I am so happy things have gone so well for you!  I also want to  thank you for the support you have given me throughout my journey!  Hopefully soon I will also have this tumor behind me!  Happy thanksgiving!!
Maria

v357139

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 05:19:05 pm »
Hi Rich,

Its so awesome to hear that you are doing really well --thanks for sharing your story. Your summary of the AN experience is so insightful and absolutely spot on! Although i took a different route to you (CK), I can totally relate to the whole stressed out process.

Glad to be on the other side of too.

kind regards

Stella

Thanks you Stella, I appreciate it.  CK is a great route as well.  It's great we have these alternatives.  Sounds like you are doing well, and that is wonderful.
Best regards,
Rich
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

v357139

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 05:21:59 pm »
Congrats Rich on your four year anniversary!  I am so happy things have gone so well for you!  I also want to  thank you for the support you have given me throughout my journey!  Hopefully soon I will also have this tumor behind me!  Happy thanksgiving!!
Maria

Thank you Maria.  It's been a honor to walk with you.  Soon you will be done.  Hang in there.  You'll be ok.
Rich