General Category > Inquiries

unilateral tinnitus only

(1/3) > >>

Devyn:
Hi all!

About a year ago my primary doc sent me to an ENT to have my hearing and balance checked because I had unilateral tinnitus and some  mild balance issues.  I had a full hearing test that was normal (other than a very tiny bit of expected age related hearing loss). The ENT never checked my balance or did anything other than look in my ears. He asked me about the tinnitus but I don't think my answer was very interesting to him as he just said to come back if it started bothering me more. I felt like I should have handled my interactions with him better. He was not very attentive and I was out of it due to working all night and being tired in addition to the hearing test being very disorienting to me. He said the  balance (which he didn't even check) was probably due to age (I'm 45). 

Fast forward to now. My tinnitus (still only in one ear) is significantly worse. High pitched, constant and easily noticed even in noisy environments.  I can't say if I've lost hearing but it's possible. I do have to ask people to repeat themselves an awful lot but that could be them talking quietly. Hard to say. The balance issues are present but not any worse than before. Mostly, losing balance in the shower or if eyes are closed. I've made an appointment to return to the same ENT clinic in a week and a half. I requested a different doctor.

My questions:

Is it worth asking for an MRI? I know it's extremely unlikely to be a AN especially with my symptoms (no hearing loss). I'm not terribly worried about it. However, I would like to rule it out. They didn't even give me any clue about what could cause the tinnitus when I saw them last year. In know there can be tinnitus for no known reason.I understand this is not a tinnitus forum so I'll find one of those to research other possible causes of the unilateral ringing.

I  guess, bottom line: anyone here have unilateral tinnitus with NO hearing loss as symptom at diagnosis? Should I even bother asking for an MRI just to make sure? I want to be prepared for this appointment and go in my questions so I don't waste the trip.

Thank you :)

MarlaB:
Unless your ENT had super x-ray vision, there is no way he could tell what is going on inside your head. The only way to rule out an AN is with an MRI.

Find a doc to refer you for one. My GP sent me for mine after the ENT continued to delay.

Good luck.

MarlaB

Muffin:
I was glad to see you requested another doc.  Wow!  I, also felt the need to make a change when I woke up one morning to feeling like I had water in my ear. My own doc first said it was probably due to dental work I had done. Three weeks later, she believed it was related to TMJ. I had that for 15 years with no hearing loss. I was too embarrassed to go back to her a third time. I told three different docs I had an uncle who had an AN. Fell on deaf ears. Three months later I get an MRI because of perseverance and sure enough.  We know our bodies. Just because something is rare, doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. Sometimes these professionals already have their minds made up and think they know it all.  I think it is worth asking for one if you believe something is wrong. If it is not an AN great! Peace of mind alone is worth it.  These usually grow slow, so no need to panic, but you are on the right track. I know what you mean by wishing we would have handled things differently, but we are learning all the time.  You won’t repeat that again and neither will I.  Good wishes and blessings to you. I pray you are AN free!

--- Quote from: Devyn on November 05, 2017, 06:38:40 am ---Hi all!
. He asked me about the tinnitus but I don't think my answer was very interesting to him as he just said to come back if it started bothering me more. I felt like I should have handled my interactions with him better. He was not very attentive and I was out of it due to working all night and being tired in addition to the hearing test being very disorienting to me. He said the  balance (which he didn't even check) was probably due to age (I'm 45). I requested a different doctor.

--- End quote ---

Devyn:
Thank you for the advice and encouragement. I'm getting an MRI! I didn't even have to ask, this new ENT was awesome. My hearing is still okay so that certainly lowers the chances of a AN. He said there's a 1% chance of a AN. I'll just be happy to have this checked.

ANSydney:
Good luck with the MRI. Only 1% chance given for an AN sounds reassuring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version