Post-Treatment > Post-Treatment

What am I supposed to do for 6-8 weeks while recovering?!

(1/3) > >>

kgs123:
Hi, everyone.
I'm about 2 weeks from translab surgery and I'm very much type A, wanting to be as prepared as possible. I've got my personal/work affairs in order, shopped for button up clothing, gotten night lights/shower seat, etc.  There are a couple things I'm struggling with and could use help:

1. What on Earth am I supposed to do with 6-8 weeks of recovery time off work? Will I be comfortable reading, watching TV, going out, doing a puzzle? I know I'll need to practice walking a few times a day. I'm used to single parenting and working two jobs. I don't know how to sit still and don't know what will be comfortable. Please help me preplan - do I buy books, movies, activities?

2. A friend set up a meal plan for me, including not just food but gift cards and assistance around the house (taking out trash, bringing in groceries, walking with me, cleaning up here and there, etc). I will also have a friend staying with me first, while I am recovering alone and then when my child comes back home a week later (he's staying with a friend while I rest for a week and he can still be super active). Is there anything else I should plan for? Will I want to eat? People are asking me what I want but I'm not really sure what that will be.

Yes, I am trying to control everything and know it's not possible to control it all - it's just my way of coping. :)
Suggestions? Thanks so much.
Karen

mandihester:
Hi Karen,
Good luck with your surgery!
How long are you expected to remain in the hospital?
I had retrosigmoid surgery last October- I'm almost a year post op.
The first week home was probably the roughest and I did rest a lot.  I watched TV but would fall asleep easily.  My appetite wasn't good for a few weeks, so I wouldn't expect to eat much.  I ate mostly things that were comfort foods for me. 
I started walking maybe toward the end of that first week but it was for very short distances.  I honestly didn't use the bath chair but like 1 time maybe.  I just needed help getting in and out of the tub. 
I didn't feel like reading but did begin watching Grey's Anatomy from season 1 on Netflix.  Probably wouldn't have been able to concentrate on a puzzle.

Just prepare to rest  mostly the first couple of weeks and then gradually increasing activity. 
Are you doing vestibular therapy?  This really helped me regain strength and balance. 

kgs123:
Thanks, mandihester.

I have been told 4-5 days in the hospital and that maybe there would be a consult of therapy while in the hospital but not direct service after that. I guess I'll plan to do nothing, then, and just roll with things as they come. I can't imagine sitting still for so long, though I will do anything to avoid CSF leakage.

Zan:
as if yesterday, I am 3 weeks post post middle fossa surgery. I, like you, am type A and usually very active.   I had a lot of the same concerns that you do. 
One thing that will determine your activity level is whether or not they cut your balance nerve. I luckily did not have my balance nerve cut. Therefore, I was able to do a lot for myself and began going for long walks early on. I just got back from a 4 mile walk. That said, I was already a very active person and ran a half marathon just 2 weeks prior to surgery.
Facial paralysis and dry eye are very big issues for me, so reading is not a good option for me, but audio books are a good plan B. I also prepared projects that I could do while "resting". For instance, I gathered a bunch of CDs that I needed to upload onto iTunes. I also have a lot of old family photos that needed to be scanned and uploaded onto photobucket.
For the first few weeks, I found that I would usually sit/rest for 15 or 20 minutes at a time then get up and do a little chore (do a couple of dishes, sweep the floor in one room etc.) then I would sit/rest again.
As far as eating goes, I got my appetite back after a few days. This might be due to the fact that I was not dizzy or nauseous due to dizziness. I had one jaw muscle cut, although I believe this is unusual. Because of that, I can't open my mouth too wide, so sandwiches or burgers are difficult, but other than that, I eat the same things I always ate.
One of my friends set up a care calendar since I live alone. It definitely kept me busy. I had one or two people come over everyday. It was designed to help me out, but in the end it felt like I was entertaining and thankfully I had the energy for that.

Rhcdad:
Understand everyone is different, but I had facial and eye issues, also I was pretty wiped out. I slept a lot and did a little walking in the mall. One of my thoughts after what I went through was that I needed more time than the doctor wanted to give me before going back to work. I never miss time but needed about 16 weeks, got about 12. Hopefully everything goes well for you!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version