AN Community > AN Community

Prayers for DIL

(1/3) > >>

Soundy:
My DIL (sons ex wife) has had issues for about 2 years with hearing loss, taste dusturbances, balance problems breathing issues and tinnitus. She was told she had asthma, menieres disease and sinus problems.
No scans were done until about 6 weeks ago after she was dizzy  then passed out. A golf ball sized AN was discovered on right side. She is in surgery now. Went in around noon. Pray things go well. She has my 8 year old granddaughter and a 3 year old born with multiple birth defects who is a bright beautiful girl who just happens to have no legs, cleft palate and heart problems. She has had palate repair, 2 heart surgeries, surgery to correct some bowel problems. At one point had a trach  tube and feeding tube. Her deformed feet and legs were amputated and they used them to build stumps. Nothing stops this child.
She was more worried about the girls than herself, especially the youngest. Tried to tell  her she  had to let others care for the kids and take care of herself.
I find it odd that ANs are supposed to be rare and we seem to have an epidemic of them. My husband's grandmother had one in 1994 at age 79, mine was found in 2003 at age 45. A man in area age 42 had diagnosed in 2003 and a former scout of mine had one in 1997 at age 32. My DIL is 35. All of us with in 10 miles of each other. It's scary that there are so many of us so close together.
Anyway , please pray for Pam

alabamajane:
Prayers Soundy for Pam and her family.
I hope she does well in surgery.
Please let us hear an update.

Jane

ANSydney:
All the best Soundy for Pam's surgery.

With regards to how rare acoustic neuromas are:
* 1~2 people diagnosed per 100,000 population per year
* ~1 person diagnosed per 1,000 per person. That is, you have a 1 in 1000 chance of being diagnosed during your life.
* ~1 per 100 people in their lifetime, ~90% of which are asymptomatic and are therefore not diagnosed. That is, 1 in 100 people die with an acoustic neuroma, not because of it, most without even realizing. This number is from autopsy studies.

alabamajane:
Sorry to be off topic but I'm just curious ANSydney,, I've seen you quote these numbers before and I wonder how "they" come by the autopsy figures??

I don't know but I wouldn't think they open the skull on an autopsy nor do MRIs so how do they diagnose them through an autopsy??

Just curious,,

ANSydney:
Hi Jane,

The article http://thejns.org/doi/full/10.3171/2012.7.FOCUS12186 has the raw data. The main table of interest is reproduced below:

There are numbers ranging from 0% to 2.4%, with 1% looking about it. A more recent paper has put the figure at 0.8% http://www.sciencedirect.com/sdfe/pdf/download/eid/1-s2.0-S0030666516301426/first-page-pdf

So, about 1% is the figure. Most people think it's a much smaller chance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version