General Category > AN Issues

CSF leak prior to treatment

(1/2) > >>

Flo2009:
I am new to this forum and have so many questions but I'm going to start with this one because I have not seen any discussions about this.
Has anyone experienced CSF leakage prior to treatment for their AN? I see a lot of discussions about leakage post operative.
I'm just wondering if this is another symptom of my AN or a separate issue altogether.
Thanks for any insight you can provide!

ANSydney:
A CSF leak is when the CSF leaks past a cut that was made to access the brain. I would say that it's impossible that a CSF leak would occur before surgery.

Flo2009:
Actually, spontaneous CSF leaks are not uncommon. While there are often obvious causes such as surgery or trauma, I will quote Dr. Ian Carroll here: "It is often mysterious where the leak is and what is causing it."  I was just curious if anyone with AN has experienced this prior to surgery.
CSF leaks cause a few of the same symptoms as AN. Headache, nausea, and tinnitus.

ANSydney:
It looks like spontaneous CSF leaks do occur. According to wikipedia, at the rate for 5/100,000. So 20 times rarer than an AN, which is rare enough. Thanks for updating my database Flo.

Flo2009:
Anytime, Sydney. I wasn't aware of the statistical rarity, so thank you!  :)
Prior to my NA diagnosis, I suffered from debilitating migraines. I have a close friend who also suffers from migraines. She found out, after years of tests, that she had a spontaneous CSF leak. I read that tumors are actually one of the causes of this condition and was just curious if anyone else had this rare condition along with the AN. I will be getting tested for this, as I have a few of the symptoms that aren't explained by the AN alone. (Clear fluid from one nostril following the onset of a headache and bending over). If positive, this may explain some of the headaches and migraines I suffered years prior to the AN.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version