General Category > Hearing Issues

Oticon Ponto

(1/2) > >>

terp1974:
I used to wear a SoundBite until it stopped working (it lasted less than 2 years). My quality of life has suffered as a result of SSD. I would like to hear from those who are using a Ponto.
How do you like the product? What are the benefits?
Do you have any issues with it?
How long do the batteries last? Are they rechargeable?
What are the advantages of a Ponto over a BAHA or other products?

Thank you
terp1974

(Translab, 2.3 cm, removed August 2011)

CHD63:
Hi terp1974 .....

My Ponto Pro abutment was implanted during my translab AN removal six years ago.  To answer your questions:

I love the product.  Early on I fell when carrying a basket of laundry up my stairs and had a direct hit on the Ponto, damaging it.  Oticon Medical replaced it with an overnight delivery, free of charge, already programmed with my settings.  Since then, zero issues for over five years.

The benefits:  (1) it enables me to know someone is talking on my deaf side, as well as traffic noises from that side; (2) for whatever reason, it helps to stabilize me when walking.  If I forget to put the processor on before going outside of my home, I know it immediately by greater instability.  (3) It allows more complete listening to concerts because I have input from two sides of my head (both inputs reach only the good auditory nerve, of course, but it still makes for a fuller sound).

No issues with it whatsoever.

My battery typically lasts about 10 days, but sometimes longer, depending on length of use each day.  Normally I put it on after my shower in the morning and forget about it until getting ready for bed at night.  The batteries are not rechargeable.

Each potential user of a bone-anchored hearing device should try to demo both the Oticon Medical Ponto and the Cochlear BAHA.  They work essentially the same, with the exception of slightly different "bells and whistles."  The main differences are the sizes/colors and the sound quality.  For me, I preferred the more natural sound from the Ponto but others chose the BAHA for diffferent reasons.

Hope that helps.  Best wishes.

Clarice

alabamajane:
Hi terp1974,,
I am a Cochlear BAHA user and have been since 2014. I just wanted to chime in with my thoughts.

I totally agree with Clarice on the benefits of wearing any BAHA unit ( Cochlear or Oticon Medical ),, it doesn't restore your hearing to exactly what it was but it definitely has benefits that add to  quality of life.

The Cochlear unit that I just upgraded to is the 5 power. The quality of sound is amazing and quite natural. The unit has 4 programs that can be computer adjusted by your audiologist to help in different situations. One being " normal" settings, one for noise reduction as in restaurants or crowded areas, one for music settings, and the last is wifi ( which I have not used yet as I only received my new unit in June!).
The processor will sync with Bluetooth to an iPhone if you have one. This is a nice feature my other unit did not have which allows phone calls to be directed into the unit.  There is even an app for it which allows you to control it from your phone ( such as volume, changing between programs, finding it if it gets lost,,and more)

I just wanted to point out those features of the Cochlear unit.

As Clarice says though, if possible you should test each manufacturer's latest models for your preference. Sometimes you may have to visit different audiologists as I don't think most groups offer both manufacturers,,,

Good luck with your search for better hearing again! Help is out there,,,

Jane

terp1974:
Clarice,

Thank you very much for your response. The Ponto sounds very impressive. It almost sounds like that when you wear it, you have some degree of directional hearing. I tell the newly diagnosed members of our chapter, that the scariest words they will hear after surgery are "Come Here".  I don't know where "here" is.

My audiologist mentioned the following terms when comparing Ponto to BAHA Cochlear:

What does "Feedback Management" mean to you?

What is "Feedback Control" mean to you?

What is Ponto "Water Resistance" mean to you?

Thank you

Stew

terp1974:
Jane,

Thank you for your feedback on Cochlear.

About 3 years ago, we had hearing aid and hearing appliance reps come to our local chapter meeting (NC). It was probably the most attended meeting I have been to. The reps from SoundBite came and I was sold on the technology. At this stage, I am interested in pursuing either a Ponto or BAHA Cochlear since my SoundBite did not last 2 years.

I will schedule/coordinate another meeting next year with my audiologists and take your advice about trying Ponto and Cochlear out to see what works best for me. My quality of life has suffered since my SoundBite stopped working. I am encouraged by both of your comments. You mentioned that your audiologist is able to program yours for different situations or venues. Does this mean that no matter where you are, your Cochlear device will adjust to a public venue or a quiet locale?

Stew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version