AN Community > AN Community

Hello and introduction...

(1/2) > >>

Matthew:
Hi everyone... My name is Matt, I'm 46 years old, living in Minnesota. I was diagnosed by MRI on 7/5/17 with a R side 1.8cm x 1.3cm x 1.8cm AN following and audiology appointment for R sided hearing loss/intermittent tinnitus. I work as an RN and have been an active musician for many years, playing out regularly. Other than the R hearing loss, tinnitus and an occasional 'ticking' sound, I've had no symptoms. Unfortunately, my R ear has always been my "good" ear, as a series of childhood L ear infections, tubes and an eventual typanoplasty caused my L sided hearing to be a bit impaired, although adequate.

First, let me say WOW!! What an emotional roller coaster! I mean- scary stuff, right?!?! It is a lot to take in, both topically and emotionally. I'm very glad I found this forum as it has pointed me toward some great resources and has let me read some very informative posts. There is a lot of information out there, but I have done my best (but not always) to stick with highly reputable sources. Although I have looked at all of the treatment options and have formed some idea of what I want to do, I'm trying to keep an open mind until my first consult. I'm hoping my doctors will provide what they feel will be the best approach for the size/location of my AN and my life moving forward. My first consultation is 8/22 at Mayo Clinic with Dr. Link and Dr. Carlson.

A true thank you to everyone who has shared their stories and insight on this forum, it has been extremely helpful to me during this past month. My consultation is now less than 2 weeks away, and for that I am grateful. In the meantime I'll just keep trying to stay busy, researching and waiting. And I truly hope the waiting is hardest part! :)

mandihester:
Good luck to you in the coming weeks as you gather information and decide who you want to proceed!!

IL17JJ:
Welcome to the Forum Matt!

I am kind of new here too and have found that this forum is full of information, resources and conversations that will hopefully make our journeys more informed. Take time to explore and join in anytime.

Jim

ANSydney:
Welcome Matthew to the club that nobody wants to be a member, but everyone is friendly. I also want to wish you good luck in the coming weeks as you gather information an decide how you want to proceed. These tumors are usually slow growing so you have time to research and come to a good decision. 6 monthly MRIs will keep an eye out for potential growth.

How long have you had symptoms for?

Matthew:
Thank you to everyone for saying "hi"!

ANSydney- My first symptom (gradual hearing loss) started about 10 months ago. I thought it was allergy related congestion or eustacian tube dysfunction, mainly because I could not 'pop' my right ear. I've only had the tinnitus for about 3 or 4 months, at first very intermittent and now more frequently. Although when I'm at work or out and about I don't notice it, and I haven't lost any sleep because of it. Oddly, every now and then if I yawn or during exercise, my Right side hearing will all of a sudden greatly improve, but then subside again within a matter of minutes. Despite my AN diagnosis and the daunting decision in front of me, I am super grateful that my audiologist had the diligence to refer me for an MRI. Given my musical performance history, the hearing loss could have easily been chalked up to noise exposure. No matter my outcome, I am indebted to her for being a good practitioners.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version