General Category > Hearing Issues

Opinions about BAHA

<< < (2/4) > >>

alabamajane:
Interesting opinion on the BAHA  ANSydney and that's all it is as you don't have first hand experience with one,,  I believe it's hard to accurately evaluate something if you haven't tried it,,,

As far as invasive surgery,, yes they make a very small hole for abutment,, but the surgery for it is very minor compared to AN  surgery. But then you have made it abundantly clear that you are opposed to surgery for your AN so that is the vantage point you come from with that objection also..

But on to solutions,,, I would expect that  MaryQ has learned to lip read and realizes how difficult locating sound is after 10 years of SSD. Any of us who are SSD adjust to those factors,,

And MaryQ stated she has tried Cros and Transear aids and found them unsatisfactory.

As stated, the trial headband is not a true comparison to the actual device. It gives you a semblance of sound in a deaf ear.

MaryQ, if you decide to go forward with a Cochlear BAHA,, I would ask to be recommended for the BAHA5 Power unit,, if you have good hearing in your " good" ear,, I believe you would be happy with this level of help. I have been extremely happy with it. The sound quality is excellent. It automatically adjusts programs to the environment you are in.

One other item I might add as far as noisy environments,, you can get a mini microphone accessory that can clip onto a speaker or dinner partner that allows sound to be directly funneled to the BAHA processor so you have clearer, louder speech recognition,,, very helpful too. ,,,

Just my thoughts,,
Jane

MaryQ:
Thank you everyone for your input.  I appreciate all who took the time to answer.   Yes I have gotten used to being SSD, but it is so difficult at times.  I have learned to lipread however that only works when the person is in front of me.  When I'm with my group of friends out somewhere I am not able to follow  the conversation and most of the time I just nod and smile as if I know what everyone talking about.  I feel left out and it is very depressing.  I get tired of asking people to repeat things.  When I'm in the car and my hubby is driving it's hard to carry a conversation because it's my left ear that is affected. I know it will not give me directional hearing and does not work well in noisy situations, but I think it would be worth it for the benefit I would get.

Unfortunately when I checked back with my doctor this morning I learned that my insurance (BCBS) will not pay.  The hospital would want all the money up front before the surgery.  I have two options for the future.  I can possibly change my insurance company come January and hopefully would be able to find if they cover the BAHA beforehand.  My second option is to wait 2 more years till I'm able to get Medicare because my understanding is that they would cover the BAHA.

alabamajane:
MaryQ,
Don't take your doctor's office word for it about coverage. I have BCBS and they approved it. You can look in your benefits part of the policy and check for yourself too. Plus your doctor's office may have either coded it incorrectly or asked about hearing aids. These are not hearing aids but a prosthetic device, I believe it is off the top of my head,,,,, it was easy to find in my policy and I believe it may have been page 90,,,,

Also, if you go with a Cochlear BAHA, they will help you with the insurance company,,, ( I would imagine Oticon Medical would too but not sure),,,

Don't give up just yet!! There is still hope,,,
Jane

ANSydney:

--- Quote from: alabamajane on July 10, 2017, 10:49:35 am ---Interesting opinion on the BAHA  ANSydney and that's all it is as you don't have first hand experience with one,,  I believe it's hard to accurately evaluate something if you haven't tried it,,,
--- End quote ---
I don't have first hand experience of jumping off a cliff, but I still would not recommend it to anyone.

An iPhone user will tell you iPhones are better and an Android phone user will tell you Android is better. It is human nature to (mostly) recommend their choice.

The problem is that with a BAHA you are making an effectively irreversible decision.

--- Quote from: alabamajane on July 10, 2017, 10:49:35 am ---As far as invasive surgery,, yes they make a very small hole for abutment,, but the surgery for it is very minor compared to AN  surgery. But then you have made it abundantly clear that you are opposed to surgery for your AN so that is the vantage point you come from with that objection also..

--- End quote ---
Cutting off your thumb is very minor compared to cutting off all your limbs, however I would not recommend cutting off your thumb.

All surgery is something you enter with known benefits that out-way the risks, costs and maintenance.

--- Quote from: alabamajane on July 10, 2017, 10:49:35 am ---But on to solutions,,, I would expect that  MaryQ has learned to lip read and realizes how difficult locating sound is after 10 years of SSD. Any of us who are SSD adjust to those factors,,

--- End quote ---
My feedback is not directed solely to MaryQ, but any reader.

--- Quote from: alabamajane on July 10, 2017, 10:49:35 am ---And MaryQ stated she has tried Cros and Transear aids and found them unsatisfactory.

--- End quote ---
To quote, "I tried the trial band and did not have a "wow" moment".

--- Quote from: alabamajane on July 10, 2017, 10:49:35 am ---As stated, the trial headband is not a true comparison to the actual device. It gives you a semblance of sound in a deaf ear.

--- End quote ---
A trial, for any product, must be representative of the final product.

Some of the benefit of a BAHA has nothing to do with bone conductance, but amplification. I would think that Jane's experience with a BAHA 4 (poor) and BAHA 5 (good) is not to do with any difference in bone conduction, but amplification. The same improvement can be obtained with a cross hearing aid without the surgery, cost, maintenance and effective irreversibility.

CHD63:
Just jumping in here to remind everyone that all who visit this forum have vastly different experiences and needs.  Therefore, we need to keep in mind this is forum designed and maintained to be a support for each other.

As for choice in assistance (or not) with hearing, this must be strictly an individual decision based on each unique situation.  We live in an age with many choices for help with hearing.  Not making a decision on anything is a choice, as well.  We need to respect the choices of others.

Clarice

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version