General Category > Hearing Issues

BICROS with bluetooth anyone?

<< < (3/3)

CHD63:
Hi Joan .....

Alas, directionality is dependent upon having sound input from both ears.  Those of us who are now SSD (single-side deaf) have lost the ability to tell where sound is coming from.  I have an Oticon Medical Ponto so I "hear" sounds coming from my deaf side, but they are directed via bone conduction to my hearing side.  (All BAHA devices work the same way.)  In certain situations I have a degree of directionality in that my brain can sort out the difference in the Ponto sound from my natural hearing, but it is not reliable to determine where sound is originating when I hear the "I'm right here" answer.

Clarice

JLR:
Clarice, Many thanks for your thoughtful response.  It does get frustrating. I had a very well known expert surgeon. He told me he stayed away from my functioning facial nerve but after 3 days post op I developed paralysis and eye problems. I guess there is quite a bit of manipulation going on during surgery that paralysis happens?? I learned quickly to rely on hearing from left side but a year later the direction of sound is just annoying. Happy Healthy New Year. Joan

joyoreilly:
I had my 1.7 acoustic neuroma tumor removed 9 weeks ago.  I have an appointment with my audiologist next week to talk about anything to help my hearing.  Heard about the hearing aids that help bring sound over to the deaf ear.  Anyone tried this or can recommend a brand of hearing aid that works.  Have no idea what cost is but my insurance will cover up to $2,500 -
Also wondering if having any type of hearing aid device has helped you be able to locate where sound is coming from.  If someone behind me calls my name I can't figure out from which direction they are calling me.

Also wondering if it really does improve enough to help your deaf side or if it makes things harder
I know I was taught your ear and eyes are married so I am also wondering if by helping the deaf to get some sound from the good ear will that also help balance.

Anyone with any input please reply

Thanks

Susan A:
My Phonak CROS hearing aid definitely helps! My family and I all notice when I forget to wear it - I have to ask people to repeat things far more often! It did take some getting used to, and it does not give me directional hearing. I wish my insurance had covered $2,500 of the cost!!

It does not put any sound into the bad ear  - instead it sends sound from the bad side over to the good side.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version