Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Post Gamma Knife Recovery

(1/3) > >>

salomon:
Looks like the end of july l will be having Gamma Knife surgery at Emory with Dr Hui-Kuo Shu.

My question is (the best guess or reasonable response) how long before l can get back to working,going to the gym,and just plain being myself? l have not had vertigo or balance issues.l have only had hearing loss.My wife wants me to be still and not do anything.Which will be difficult for l have an extremely active life!

Help me out with your best response

Thank you

Jet747:
Salomon,

I have no details about your tumor size, location or your general well being...nor have I ever studied GK recovery, in general. Nor am I a qualified expert.

I mention the above items so you take my answer with a grain of salt.

I recovered "mostly" in about a week.  I'd say 70%.

It took about a month to feel at 95%.

I'm sure we all react differently to GK in my case I'd say a general feeling of "worn out" would best describe the following couple weeks.

I'm sure you'll do great!!!

Best of luck to you,
Jet

Patti:
The day after mine I rested but didn't feel the need to.  The next day I was out planting bulbs in my gardens. Never felt anything different. I had a few facial jolts a few months later, but fortunately I wasn't in the car.

salomon:

--- Quote from: Jet747 on June 02, 2017, 08:24:37 pm ---Salomon,

I have no details about your tumor size, location or your general well being...nor have I ever studied GK recovery, in general. Nor am I a qualified expert.

I mention the above items so you take my answer with a grain of salt.

I recovered "mostly" in about a week.  I'd say 70%.

It took about a month to feel at 95%.

I'm sure we all react differently to GK in my case I'd say a general feeling of "worn out" would best describe the following couple weeks.

I'm sure you'll do great!!!

Best of luck to you,
Jet

--- End quote ---

Thank you for your reply! My tumor at last year's MRI was right at 8mm between brainstem and cochlear.i have had hearing loss,but that is it for the last 5 years.l am 60 years old,work out 4 times (1-1.5 hrs) a week and ride bikes 3 times a week for at least 16-20 miles each session.Plus l ride stand up jet skis.So l have an active life as you can tell.
l'm looking forward to getting this all behind me,cause it is a cloud that has been following me.l'm scared,but feel that is a normal reaction to zapping you with a ray gun!  ;D 

Would appreciate more comments for or against

thanks

ANSydney:
salomon, given the duration of your symptoms and size, I would wait for MRI confirmation of any tumor growth. Get the MRI on disk and check for yourself.

If there is no (or little growth) and all you have is hearing loss, active treatment is probably unwarranted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version