Author Topic: Going for Gamma Knife Radiation @NYU  (Read 3403 times)

Gearbox123

Going for Gamma Knife Radiation @NYU
« on: May 25, 2017, 11:00:18 pm »
Hey Everyone, I  hope everyone is doing as well as they can?  It's been a long time since I posted. My vestibular Swannanoma is only 6mm, 5mm, 4mm last year measurements and have had it for 5 years Watch and Wait . I can't take the balance issues anymore, the pain and  pressure are still there  but my Balance is just really bad, so I have,to get this done. I am using Dr. Kondziolka @NYU for Gamma Knife June 8th.I have complete faith in his work and his reputation is top notch.   I am not nervous but curious about the days after ,because of my Balance issues,  I'm just hoping that it  won't get worse because I hear that the nerve can swell pretty good which is my only real concern. I have been working out to strengthen my body and I am now retired so I can rest as much as needed , which is great. I know everyone one is different but was curious about anyone with balance issues pre and post  Gamma Knife and there recovery time? Thanks and God bless!

ANSydney

Re: Going for Gamma Knife Radiation @NYU
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:32:14 am »
Did Dr Kondziolka say that Gamma Knife will improve you balance or is "everyone different". What are the chances of improvement? What are the changes that things will get worse?

rupert

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 03:36:43 pm »
I had GK with Dr K when he was in Pittsburgh.  His reputation as top notch is an understatement, not only with GK but as a brain surgeon.  I assumed you talked over your balance issues with him. Sometimes these things can be worse  when they are small.  The nerves don't swell.  In some people that have radio surgery the tumor can swell some.  This may or may not cause any different symptoms.  After my GK procedure on a 2.6 by 2.2 cm AN mine didn't swell at all.  Good luck to you

Gearbox123

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:09:49 pm »
Thanks for the replys.  Yes  Dr. K went over everything hopefully it will be a successful procedure and my balance will improve over time. He mentioned how the tumor might swell or even grow a little bit after Radiation  but then shortly after that it should shrink or at the least not grow, that's the hope. Thanks again for the reply and good wishes.  All the best!