Author Topic: might AN removal lessen tinnitus?  (Read 2836 times)

DeathRowTull

might AN removal lessen tinnitus?
« on: March 08, 2017, 04:35:54 pm »
Hi: recently diagnosed with small (8x8x5mm) AN. First noticed hearing loss 4 months ago, now almost no hearing. But horrid tinnitus (mild for years, now worsening). I can't be out in the world without muffs, i can longer make or enjoy music or any sound. Dizziness and balance issues, but attributed to Linsinopril for Hypertension. Also headaches and a bit of 'confusion' (found my keys in the fridge...), but i've always been that way. Since the Tinnitus seems to be triggered by sound (and i have virtually no hearing left in AN ear), i would like the hearing mechanism simply removed from that ear, but that does not seem to be an option. I just asked for approval from insurance for removal of tumor (THANK YOU ACA!). It will take a while. Surgeon seems to suggest (he won't give me a straight answer) wait and scan, but he doesn't have an evil fax machine in his head. If i wait and THEY have their way, i may lose my health insurance...

ANSydney

Re: might AN removal lessen tinnitus?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:24:16 pm »
Welcome to the forum DeathRowTull.

With regards to tinnitus, from http://www.michiganear.com/ear-services-acoustic-neuroma.html, we have "Tinnitus (ear noise) remains the same as before surgery in most cases. In 10% of the patients the tinnitus may be more noticeable." Surgery may make you deaf, but it does not resolve tinnitus.

Others on here may have coping mechanism for tinnitus. The main thing is that surgery (or radiosurgery) is not the answer.

MarkS

Re: might AN removal lessen tinnitus?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:46:30 am »
I had moderate, persistent and somewhat annoying tinnitus prior to my retrosigmoid AN surgery on Mar 21.  They knew beforehand it would be necessary to sever the acoustic nerve, but warned me that tinnitus can persist even after, because no one really knows what causes it.  However I am pleased to report that my tinnitus was GONE immediately after surgery, and has not returned since.  I don't know how common this is, but there is hope :).
2.2 x 2.3 x 2.6 AN right side
Retrosigmoid 3/21/17
MD Anderson, Houston