Author Topic: Did my tumor grow larger?  (Read 3155 times)

robbiey

Did my tumor grow larger?
« on: January 26, 2018, 09:05:19 pm »
I had my year follow up MRI after radiation therapy. They said the tumor was stable and did not grow, but it did not shrink. I finally got to read the MRI report. The measurement of the tumor from my MRI on 9/2016was listed as 3x5x3mm. The tumor size was listed on the most recent report from 1/2018 as one number of 6mm. I am horrible with numbers. Can someone confirm from these numbers if the tumor grew? I have a follow up with my neurologist next week and would like to be able to discuss this while understanding the numbers. I would appreciate any help! Go Eagles!

rupert

Re: Did my tumor grow larger?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 08:07:53 am »
You will find that it's best to talk over size with the neurosurgeon and not the radiologists report.  there's a lot more to size than just a number or two and the numbers between what the radiologist state and what the surgeon state are usually different.  I know in my case over 8 years after GK my radiologist reports have stated that tumor size is stable.  After looking at the MRI myself over the years it's obvious it's much smaller.  This is the opinion of the neurosurgeon also.  The odds of success are well in your favor.  Good luck to you.

BradL

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 02:42:22 pm »
I agree that it's a good idea to ask for a copy of the MRI and look for yourself.  There is a measurement tool included in the software which is easy to use.

I just had my four year post GK scan.  My doctor ordered the scan with and without contrast.  He insists on contrast even though I don't have any symptoms or problems.  When I arrived at the imaging facility I simply told them I didn't want contrast and they didn't force the issue.  The next week when I reviewed the MRI results with my doctor he didn't mention the contrast issue.  So I didn't either.  Of course, should I have problems in the future I will have no problem having a scan with contrast.  But for routine monitoring follow up scans it doesn't seem necessary.

ANSydney

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 10:03:12 pm »
I agree that it's a good idea to ask for a copy of the MRI and look for yourself.  There is a measurement tool included in the software which is easy to use.

I just had my four year post GK scan.  My doctor ordered the scan with and without contrast.  He insists on contrast even though I don't have any symptoms or problems.  When I arrived at the imaging facility I simply told them I didn't want contrast and they didn't force the issue.  The next week when I reviewed the MRI results with my doctor he didn't mention the contrast issue.  So I didn't either.  Of course, should I have problems in the future I will have no problem having a scan with contrast.  But for routine monitoring follow up scans it doesn't seem necessary.
Let me reinforce the good advice by rupert, BradL and many others. Take a look at the MRI yourself. Take measurements yourself. The key thing is to have the same person at the same time make the relative measurements. The best candidate is you. Not that you would discount a radiologist, neurosurgeon or radiosurgeon. If you want an interchangeable measurement method, take at look at https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=23670.msg979775078#msg979775078

I used to angonise about the correct measurement points when measuring my tumor. However, more recently I've realised that what's more important than size is symptoms and relative change. So even if you measure vertically and horizontally, the relative measurements will be valid.

BTW, after your diagnostic MRI with contrast, a T2 weighted (not to be confused with a 2T MRI machine, which refers to the magnetic strength of 2 Teslas) will allow you to make measurements. And try to get fine slices. I get 0.5 mm slices. 1 mm is probably OK, but 3 mm slices in only going to give you a rough idea.