General Category > AN Issues

Another new guy...

(1/14) > >>

dwilliams35:
Got diagnosed about a month and a half ago,  10mm x 5mm at this point.   I had a sudden almost total hearing loss in the right ear,  went to the ENT.  They prescribed an MRI and prednisone, I got the majority or all of my hearing in that ear back about five days later, and an MRI and subsequent diagnosis later that week..   

I already had hearing aids,  although this was my GOOD ear..  Too many years of shooting and power tools..

I went and saw their associated neurotologist a few weeks later,  and moved basically into a wait and see mode with a second MRI supposed to happen in September.  During that visit,  he did a "drunk test" and that was the first time I noticed my balance was affected.  I may very well have just not noticed a problem before that, but I dang sure do now.  I sent an e-mail to that neurotologist's office saying "is this what I can expect"?  (dizzy spells quite often through the day, balance issues, etc.: I haven't "wiped out" yet from losing balance, but it's certainly noticable.)   They then recommended another Audi test and an ENG test.  I'm not sure just what that will tell them besides "take another MRI"?  It's scheduled for week after next, but everything I've read about that leaves me with "just what good is that going to do?  We already KNOW what the problem is"..  Anybody have any revelations for me on that?

This has certainly occupied a healthy dose of my thoughts since the diagnosis,  and my few days as 1/2 deaf have left me thinking that I REALLY, REALLY don't want to lose that for good..  I'm sure I'm overreacting there, there's a lot of people that have handled it better than I'm giving myself credit for, but that was an eye-opener..  Fortunately it is apparently quite small and I've got some time to think about this.  Unfortunately, I've got some time to think about this.... ::)

ANSydney:
What is important is the size and growth rate. If the tumor is not growing, you've achieved what radiosurgery is aiming to achieve.

dwilliams35:
Well, it will take a second MRI to tell if it's growing or not, right?  I'm just not sure what this ENG test will prove besides that my balance is affected, which I already knew.

voron999:

--- Quote from: dwilliams35 on April 24, 2017, 09:06:07 pm ---Well, it will take a second MRI to tell if it's growing or not, right?  I'm just not sure what this ENG test will prove besides that my balance is affected, which I already knew.

--- End quote ---

Correct:  once you have your initial MRI and have an established baseline, then the second MRI should tell if there is significant growth taking place. I am in the same boat. My second MRI is to be in September.

Balance: this is just a theory, but physical activity involving balance training *might* mitigate the issue. This is one of those things where "if you don't use it - you lose it" logic may be working. By the balance-involving exercise brain is actively pressured to compensate and readjust if the issue is present; the brain is a really, really powerful thing and is vastly underused and so needs to be taken advantage of (purely theorizing here, but I do believe into my own intuition).  I myself walk a lot (this is my daily commute), run, play soccer with the kids (this is my way of coaching). Nothing to lose - everything to gain!

gary.s:
I am also waiting for my second MRI to determine if my tumor is growing or not. I am scheduled for the MRI on May 8 and then the neurology appointment on May 11. We are establishing a baseline to see how stable the AN is. Watch and Wait is what I am doing.

My balance has been an issue for a few years now. I have episodes where I am off kilter for weeks at a time, then it improves. I walk each day and find when I focus on my balance, I am off balance a lot. When I don't think about it when walking, I do much better. Mind over matter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version