Author Topic: Airplane flights and ear pressure  (Read 3051 times)

gary.s

Airplane flights and ear pressure
« on: April 26, 2017, 07:42:44 pm »
I recently flew from Arizona to Wisconsin and spent four days on the ground before flying back to Arizona. The pressure in my AN ear was okay during the flights, but the air pressure changes during landings caused a lot of pain on the AN side. It took an additional two days after flying for the pressure in my AN ear to decrease and for the noises and squishing sounds to mellow out. Wondering if anyone else has had this experience.
Mild symptoms on right side July 2014
CK April 16-20, 2018, Barrow Neurological Institute
9/2018 hearing aid Phonak Audeo B and Cros B

Petrone

Re: Airplane flights and ear pressure
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:55:07 pm »
I'd highly recommend using ear plugs when flying.  Buy a cheap pack of foam ear plugs at any pharmacy and use them whenever you fly (also get in the habit of using ear plugs when mowing the lawn, blowing snow, firing guns, etc., anything loud).  If you forget to buy ear plugs when flying, you can buy an overpriced pair at any airport. Too many of us ANers still insist on listening to Hotel California on ITunes for the millionth time while flying. Bad idea. Use ear plugs and read a good book instead.  You might still experience the normal ear pain from the change in pressure, but your recovery will go from days to hours.  Be proactive about protecting your hearing.  Be well.     
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:06:14 pm by Petrone »
1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

gary.s

Re: Airplane flights and ear pressure
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 11:03:29 pm »
Thanks for the information Petrone. I will start using ear plugs when flying and hopefully I will recover from the pressure changes more quickly.

I actually do wear ear protection when doing anything that is loud, including vacuuming, blowing leaves and working with power tools. I am trying desperately to protect my good ear and whatever hearing I have left in my AN ear. It makes sense that AN people should wear ear protection when flying. thanks
Mild symptoms on right side July 2014
CK April 16-20, 2018, Barrow Neurological Institute
9/2018 hearing aid Phonak Audeo B and Cros B