Author Topic: Experiencing new symptom  (Read 2896 times)

lindaholland

Experiencing new symptom
« on: March 22, 2017, 01:51:52 pm »
Hello Everyone.  I was diagnosed with AN July of last year.  I have been experiencing fullness in the ear, ringing and loss of hearing in my left ear.  I wear a hearing aid but I am wanting to have another hearing test as I feel my hearing is worse.  As of this week I started feeling slight dizziness but today I feel it more.  I feel like my body is swaying but its not.  Very weird feeling.  Is this normal or am I just imagining this. 

ANSydney

Re: Experiencing new symptom
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 05:17:19 pm »
Hi Linda and welcome to the forum.

It would be useful to get some background information. How large is your tumor? What prompted you to get the AN diagnosis? What were your symptoms at the time? How have symptoms changed since diagnosis?

These are typically slow growing tumors so, see a doctor now, but you can wait two weeks before coming to a conclusion. Things like an infection can cause similar symptoms. This happened to me and after a course of antibiotics, I was back to normal. Also I got a headache and then remembered that I skipped my morning coffee. So, not all symptoms are due to an AN. Conversely, not all new symptoms are not due to to an AN. I think about the only reliable differentiation is to see a doctor if need be and wait two weeks (or more) to see what happens.

lindaholland

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 11:43:52 am »
I went to see my ENT for a hearing aid for my left ear July of 2016.   Been having hearing problems for a couple of years.  My hearing in my left ear is at 72%.  My doctor suggested I have an MRI and found out I had this tumor.  It measures 6x8x13.  Only experiencing ringing and fullness then.  Had another MRI January 2017 and tumor has grown very little.  I go back in July for another MRI.   Two weeks  ago I started feeling like my head was swaying back and forth when I would lay down and it was all mild.  As of this week I am experiencing more headaches, nausea and dizziness every day and I never know when it will hit me.  I had to call my husband yesterday to come get me as I did not feel safe to drive home.  I don't know if these symptoms are related to my tumor or not.  How do you really know?  This is all new to me and confusing.  I am also flying out next weekend.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ANSydney

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 01:29:02 am »
Hi Linda,

You have a small slow growing tumor.

A swaying feeling is probably due to the AN compromising the vestibular nerve and with central compensation should resolve itself. Surgery will not make things better as a gradual degradation is better than a big hit. Also hearing is preserved for longest without intervention.

If I was in your shoes, I would wait and watch.