Author Topic: Hi, my name is Colleen  (Read 3079 times)

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
Hi, my name is Colleen
« on: March 24, 2017, 01:10:04 pm »
Hello everyone!  :)  I have been researching, reading & surfing and this place is just great! I am to the point now that I am ready for this to happen. Two weeks ago I was very overwhelmed (sometimes I still am) but with knowledge comes peace. At least for me. I found myself going in for a hearing aid and came out with a brain tumor. What?!?! Well, you all know how that goes. This support forum and informational warehouse have been so great. I feel blessed to live in this age to have this at my fingertips as well as the choices for treatment. I have had two opinions and they both suggested surgery. That was my guess before I went due to the great resources online. So now I wait for my date - should find out in a few days. So I am not sure about this - have not seen much on it so it could be a contact issue - but pre-op has anyone had issues focusing with their eyes? Not due to balance (I have seen that discussed) but on a computer, book or tv? Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself since I have been hanging around for a couple of weeks  ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:18:02 pm by ColleenH »
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: Hi, my name is Colleen
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 02:03:21 pm »
Hi Colleen...welcome to the club no one wants to belong to.

Pre-surgery, I went in to have my new glasses adjusted almost weekly. I couldn't see evenly....

Since surgery, NO PROBLEM. With glasses and/or contacts. It's all good!!

I wonder if it was the tumor?

Anyway, good luck and know we'll all be there on the other side!!

Marla Bronstein

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 02:17:43 pm »
Perhaps it is from the tumor then. I just wasn't sure - almost feels like there is something in my eye that is making it kinda foggy. Thanks for the reply.
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 03:45:43 pm »
Welcome Colleen,,
You have picked a very experienced facility with wonderful doctors. Congrats on that.

If your AN is pressing on the brain stem already, there are many issues and symptoms you will experience. I can't speak to the focus issues but I'd be willing to bet it's related and should clear up after surgery.

Be sure and keep us updated ,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

sheren

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 04:02:27 pm »
hey colleen!

I hope everything went well if you've already had your surgery(: For your question about your eyesight. YES, I had blurry(almost double vision) on my right eye(where the tumor was). I was telling my parents that I might need glasses. But for my case, it was actually due to dryness on my eye because I have problems releasing fluid on my right eye or nose apparently.. It did get better after my surgery but still blurry especially after being infront of the screen. You should try eye drops (: works for me!
Translab surgery done on 24th february 2016 when I was 24 years old.
3.4cm tumor on the right
Dr Friedman & Giannotta of Keck Hospital USC

Anyone who needs to talk, get informations or needs support please don't hesitate to email me (: sherenhl@hotmail.com