General Category > Hearing Issues

Delay in return of hearing?

(1/3) > >>

Johns123:
Hi all. I'm a newbie here and almost 4 weeks out from retrosigmoid surgery at Duke. I had normal hearing before surgery and when they tested my hearing immediately after surgery, I could hear in my AN ear. (I'm not sure to what degree; they just did some bedside tests.) The next morning, I could not hear. I was fairly confident that once the inflammation began to subside, the hearing would come back. But it has not yet. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Did your hearing come back to any degree and how long did it take?

I got really upset today when I was Christmas shopping. Didn't know the cashier was talking to me (multiple times) and then I thought she had said something when she hadn't  :-[ I'm sure this is a familiar scenario to many...

Thanks for any input you might have!

ANSydney:
Given the course of your symptoms, you may want to talk to your surgeon quickly. A course of steroids may be in order.

Johns123:
Thanks for your response Sydney! I was on dexamethasone for about 10 days after surgery, and glad to be off it now. Are you saying I might need another course? Did you have a similar experience?

ANSydney:
Johns123, I haven't had treatment yet. I'm waiting for my 6 month follow-up MRI to determine it's growth profile. I've read where others get sudden deafness and then go on steroid and all is well. If I was in your shoes, I would contact your surgeon without delay.

(Part of my plan following treatment is to have some steroids on hand with information about what the trigger would be to start taking them (eg sudden hearing loss).)

Johns123:
Well, I had a hearing test and my 6-week post-op with the doc, and it looks like my hearing will not be coming back. My doc was disappointed but said that sometimes the nerve "decides to die" after surgery and we don't know why. "No usable hearing" in my AN ear per the audiologist  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version