General Category > AN Issues

Tumor Regrowth post surgery....options for Radiation or Repeat Surgery

<< < (2/2)

Willbur:

--- Quote from: ktmacintosh on November 22, 2016, 11:42:29 am ---I have recently been told that my tumor regrew 8 months post surgery.  It is still a small tumor but growing at a rapid rate.  They say I must have treatment, either radiation or repeat surgery.  I had some significant surgery complications and am considering radiation; however, I am concerned about regrowth post radiation and the impact on potential surgery if it does regrow.  Also, my doctor mentioned that there is a 'life limit' on radiation.  I wasn't sure if that was related to the specific area of radiation or to all areas.  I would appreciate any input. 

Thank you!

--- End quote ---

Do doctors have any explanation as to why there is regrowth? Has it ever been studied before?

PaulW:
Not all AN's are created equal. Some have a slightly different makeup and grow faster.
Many surgeons leave a small slither of AN behind to preserve the facial nerve if it does not seperate easily. It's a common practice. But it doubles the chance of regrowth.. from around 1% to 2%
Sometimes the tumour is just difficult to remove so they leave behind more..
Comes down to the skill of the surgeon, and your AN. In the past they tended to remove a lot more. But that left people with a lot of complications.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version