General Category > Hearing Issues

Hearing Devices

(1/3) > >>

Randy:
Hello to all,
I have been looking into hearing devices such as the BAHA, the Trans CROSS, and now the TransEar devices.  I read Boppie's discussion page and I have heard from Cheryl (Thanks!).  I am looking for comments from those of you who are using any of these devices and what you think of them...The pro and cons of each.  I thought I was fairly sure about the BAHA, but now after hearing about the TransEar I'm not sure.  I have fairly good hearing on my left side.  My hearing on the right side was lost as a result of my AN surgery.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  Randy

Battyp:
Hi randy,
  Joef is the baha expert, boppie is the trans ear expert and Nate is the cros expert.  If you search those three you'll find their post discussing their experiences.  I'm hoping to be an expert on either the cros or trans ear soon!  No baha for me! 

M

Joef:
assuming the hearing aids are equal ...

I think the BAHA looks better (Im bais of course) .. nothing in your ear, no ear wax, and if you have hair .. most of time you can't see the BAHA)
Bad things are, you can't wear a HAT! .. but for me, in the office I never have a hat and when I'm out working in the yard or fishing, I dont want the BAHA in anyway! so a hat is ok. Longer wear times .. your skin does not have feel the aid vibrating, so wearing it 16 hours a day , I dont have problems ...

I assume with a Trans ear you can wear a hat ... you dont have a bolt in your head ..(who said I have a screw loose!)  no surgery required .. no bald spot .... I would say the older you are the better Transear looks .. but you have a big Hearing Aid in your ear .. Its harder to hide .. (should make them look like bluetooth). Some people can't wear them because of ear canal issues .. etc...

The BAHA was made for "Treacher Collins" .. people born with facial issues , little or no outer ears or eardrums. but the INNER ear is perfect ... in these cases the BAHA is the ONLY choice and works wonders ... I watched a TV special on it not to long ago, and a young girl they interviewed had a BAHA on! (they did not say much about it)

check out:  http://www.baha-users-support.com/cgi-bin/2bb/2bb.cgi or http://www.transear.com/

Pembo:
I love my Baha and I cut a hole in my hat so I can wear it. Again, I love mine.

Randy:
Joef,
Thanks for your reply.  I am not in any hurry to get a hearing device just yet, but I do want to know what's out there.  When I went to my ENT and tried the sample BAHA it sounded like the sound you might hear from a cheap speaker.  I don't know if it was because the sound had to go through the skin and muscle tissue or not.  How is the quality of sound fromr BAHA?  I work out of doors and many times I do wear a hat, so that may pose a problem as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version