General Category > Inquiries

Please help.

(1/10) > >>

5frys:
We have come to the conclusion that my husband has an Acoustic Neuroma.  Last year at this time he was running 6 miles a day, 5 days a week and now he can hardly get off the couch. It has devistated our family.  He is only 34 years old and recently returned from Iraq, so the military did many blood tests to see if it was related to something he caught over there.  After 7 rounds of antibiotics and getting the run around, I hit the internet.  It is one thing if you have one or 2 symptoms of something, but he has EVERY symptom of Acoustic Neuroma.
I am very worried about him. Now we are on a remote assignment and getting him help has been very hard.  He had a CT scan with the dye.......2 weeks ago, but they say it will be another 2 weeks before we get the results back.
He has great hearing loss and has had tinnitus for almost 8 months. Then he started falling over with the dizziness. This is a man who builds houses and who could once balance on beams! Then he felt immense pressure in the back of his head at the base of his skull, has trouble swallowing, headaches, fatigue, nausea, and now the whole right side of his face is numb and his vision will go black. He has also lost almost 20 lb. he didn't need to loose.
I am afraid if this is what he has that it is pretty far advanced. We are in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and they would have to send us to Landstuhl Army Med. center in Germany or to the States.
Any words of wisdom for this worried wife?? No one seems to be taking him seriously.........but me, the one who knows him best.
He is a great husband and father to 3 who has really gone down hill.  I can't stand to see him go through this anymore.
To those of you who have had an Acoustic Neuroma, do you believe this is what he has?
KF

nancyann:
To KF:  I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles - I'll tell ya, I had a CT Scan with contrast 1 year before diagnosed with AN - the CT Scan did NOT pick up the AN - the MD told me it can pick up maybe 88%, whereas an MRI with contrast picks up 99%(?).   I had a 2CM AN.  Your husband needs to have an MRI - that's the first thing.  Again, I'm so sorry this is happening to your family.  Best wishes.  Keep us posted.   Nancy

Dealy:
Ron here-I agree with Nancyann. Please get yuour husband to have an MRI Now. I know the military can be pretty dumb sometimes when it comes to taking  care of our troops. I was in the United States Navy during the Vietnam War. This is an issue where an MRI can give you a definite answer within at least 3 days. Sounds like an AN but could be other issue also. I hope you have success .Please keep us informed on this group-all is not lost until you have an answer. I went numb on the right side of my face at work almost 2 years ago-and even then I was mis-diagnosed with a Sinus Infection by a local Doctor. The MRI confimed an AN. Keep yoy in my Prayers. Ron

5frys:
Katie here again............Thanks for your advice about the MRI over the CT scan.  The thing is, it took us over a month to even get the Dr to get him to give my husband that!  He got the CT scan 2 weeks ago and they said it would take 4 weeks to get results back.  We are on a small remote island in the atlantic Island where things don't seem to get done quickly.  The people don't do things speedy and they don't have the man power here.  The CT scan he got was off base and they have to "translate" the results. It is frustrating, but we are trying to get the MRI now, even if we have to pay for it.
Thanks.

Joef:

Yep .. and MRI w/ contrast  .. I would even consider going down to ER now! and waiting to get one...

and dont let them wait for 2 weeks .. you should see on the MRI as soon as it is done if something is wrong .. the tech will see it .. Mine looked like a tennis ball is in my head .. I did not need to be a doctor to see it did not belong there!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version